Junk DNA

Sure, anon, but let’s take this one step further…

Mayr is most definitely mistaken in his assessment of the situation - he makes the mistake of turning the world as he understands it, into the world. His fear of impoverished science ironically prevents him from wanting to investigate the complexity of the real situation any further. This is an example of science as the search for solid ground, to the detriment of exploration and advancement.

Teleology in scientific explanations is a bad business.

My daughter’s doing her 4th year in Biology
and playing with genes.

One thing I hear is- only a few of the genes are
being expressed (proteins are being made from them).
The rest are tangled up like in a big knot and
not available for use. Like the other ninety-some percent.

But, even then, there are sequences where
there is just a sort sequence that repeats
hundreds of times. This is junk.

But there’s other junk; portions and even
entire genes of old viruses make up a large
percentage of our genome. Some peoples carry much
more of that than others, apparently!

Interesting stuff.

john

Was thinking this topic would be along those lines too, that only about 4% of your DNA is functioning and the rest is made up of ancient retroviruses, dead formally functioning DNA (such as the DNA that made your tail grow) and possible your dead twins ovaries as well as abit of Neanderthal (if your eurasian) a whole host of possible internal mutations capable of making you crazy or paralyzed at any moment. Your non-junk DNA is functioning now in the sense of a drunk trying to do a rubiks cube in the dark. Its not really purpose driven, there are mathmatical sequences found all over nature, common designs that function most effectly in this earth bound environment. Just like sand flowing downwards in a timer. Infact, i don’t even know what im trying to say here.

Read those links I gave previously. There is evidence that non coding DNA can act to preserve important sections of DNA that are coding. In that case they need not code to have a function. It exists because if it is lost, then certain important coding genes become less likely to survive, providing a less “fit” genome overall.