limits of philosophical language

not sure if this has any relevanceā€¦but existence itself is circular :slight_smile:

God bless
-hth

Well, if by that you mean we come from nothingness only to return to it again for eternity, thatā€™s true.

But then that greatly disturbs many people. So, among other things, they invents God to make those feelings go away.

It doesnā€™t work that way for me though because I cannot just believe in something without empirical or analytical arguments that might make it seem reasonable to believe it.

wellā€¦i am actually a believer :slight_smile:

if i understand you correctly i believe you are incorrectā€¦one can always put themself in anotherā€™s shoes and try to understand where he is coming from and what he meansā€¦the inability of one to do that could simply be considered stubborness for simplicityā€™s sake but that does not mean if one person is stubborn that the other person is stubborn as wellā€¦for instance i could have countless arguments with a stubborn person but that does not mean that i am stubborn and am not willing to try and understand the other person just because that person is stubborn and not willing to try and understand meā€¦his negativeness can only reflect on me so much as i allow it toā€¦and then you could also have two people that are both willing to try and understand the other personā€™s thinking and usually it leads to learning on both sides (but it doesnt change the fact that one could be completely right over the other :smiley: )

Well, I donā€™t see the point of going around and around in that circle. Letā€™s just agree to disagree.

in practical terms resolving moral disputes in the absence of an absolute or objective ethical standard is a matter of persuasion - it IS possible, and it happens, but slowly over time as social consensus builds and evolves