Literally interpreting the afterlife

What do you think when you hear the term “afterlife”?

For me, I think of children. Life exists after death, in children. You will die, but, you will have an “afterlife” through your children. So children are the literal “afterlife”. When people say, “I don’t believe in an afterlife”, then I usually believe that these people either have no children themselves, or, will never have children. So, of course they don’t believe in the afterlife, because they will not have one. Only people who have children, themselves, have an afterlife, because your life literally is passed on to your children.

People who do not have children, or are invalid, do not and will not have an afterlife.

This is the literal interpretation of an afterlife. It simply means, people who have biological children, live on in their genes, after the parents die.

When people refer to the afterlife, what they are literally referring to, is future generations of children which come from our generation.

[size=150]Welcome rununder![/size]

You forgot to consider, or mention, that writers of books can have an afterlife to replace that of children. Socrates, for example, still lives on today.

Welcome, Rununder.
I’d say that genetics is a tentative answer to what goes on beyond death. It reduces humans to genes, ignoring the full scope of human contributions to the future of ideas, if there is a possible future. . It assumes that the logic of genetics defines what is meant by being a total human being. But logic can refute anything, including itself. If you are looking for genetics to provide you with absolute certainty about anything, you are denying the fact that humans are indefineable by any theory that claims to be absolute. We are too slippery to be pinned to the wall and categorized. Nature and nurture are complements, not polar opposites.

Thanks for the welcoming,

So there are two different aspects of the afterlife, children and future generations passed on genetically, and deeds, legends, myths, stories, passed on by fiction and non-fiction? Isn’t this the literal interpretation of religious meaning concerning the afterlife? For example, if somebody is going to Hell in the afterlife, then this means bad things for the children, or a negative interpretation of the dead person’s lifetime? And if somebody is going to Heaven in the afterlife, then this means good things for the children, or a positive interpretation of the dead person’s lifetime?

But, using the literal interpretation, a person who does not have children, does not have an afterlife, but maybe only an afterlife in terms of remembrance. This leads to another question. If a person’s life is not worth remembering, maybe it was too insignificant, then doesn’t this mean he or she really didn’t have a meaningful life? Isn’t meaning in life tied to remembrance? If your life is not remembered by others, then your life is worth less. If your life is remembered by others, then your life is worth more. I don’t necessarily agree with that.

You were right up to that point.

You are a process of trying to live.
Anything that is a replica of that process (often your own children, but sometimes not), lives on.

The childless widow lives on in other childless widows.

rununder aren’t you trying to redefine the afterlife and heaven and hell?

A Peaceful war; White blackness; a literal metaphor; a similar difference; a tiny giant; a smart idiot; living dead.

“Afterlife”, the bleat of the weak minded and scared.

After life means yer dead …

I’m simply using the literal meaning of the word. After life. What is after life? Well, if you have biological children, then your children live after your life is finished. So children are the literal after life. This is not a big secret, it’s too obvious.

The problem with spirituality and religion is that most people need to cling onto mythical interpretations of the mundane.

Maybe religion is the result of extreme, extreme, extreme boredom?

You certainly hit that one on the head. :sunglasses:

I’ve said this before. Religions were born when the only entertainment available was making up stories around campfires.

And even today, with all kinds of entertainment available, we’re still entertained by them.

At my advanced age, I have no fear of any afterlife and would gladly accept oblivion if that’s all that is out there. I prefer to believe in an afterlife that is something more than the transfer of genes. That’s a personal preference that has nothing to do with positing the hereafter because of any fear or dread.

What you are describing is life. There is no after life as you see it. We die and life goes on. It’s not after life it’s life.

But you can’t be dead. Being dead is a contradiction. Death is not being.
There is life or not; before life, afterlife it’s all the same.

I’m sorry to inform you, but, there will be life after I see it, and after I am dead. The world does not revolve around me, sorry to break this news to you. I wish that it did, so I could stroke my ego with that fact, but it doesn’t. After I die, life will go on. The ongoing life is after my life, the literal after life. I apologize for dispelling myths, because I know how valuable these are to some people. After you die, other organisms, including your biological children if you have them, will live on. That is the after life. It is after your life.

There is only an “after life” to those who leave biological children behind, because that is life after life, and life after death. Don’t forget, this is the purely literal interpretation.

i think you are missing the point somewhat.
Life goes on, yes, but that is not afterlife. its life continuing.

So after your life ends, and you die, you believe there is no after your life? Do you believe that you’ll live forever or something? Or, do you believe that when you die, and your life ends, that all of existence ends?

When I die I believe that my life is finished and that there is nothing else for me.
Whether or not other things continue is not the issue. When people use the word “afterlife” they are talking about personal survival after their life is over. Or maybe you think people are too stupid to to have figured out that other things don’t die when they do?

I believe that many religious people confuse the myth for the literal interpretation, and actually believe they’re going to “live after death”, rather than “life goes on”.

The difference between life after life, and life after death, is a semantic difference between mythical and literal interpretations of perhaps the most horrendous and absolute event of everybody’s life, the imminence and certainty of death. I believe that people cling to the mythical definitions, instead of the literal definitions, because they are too invested in religious scriptures and dogmas, to “give up” to the literal meaning. Even if they agree with the literal meaning, they can’t admit it, because it de-mystifies the mythical approach to life as a spiritual experience.

Again the difference is between myth and mundanity. People tend to subconsciously side with myth over mundanity. Because people want to believe life, and their personal lives, maybe “worth more” and more valuable, than it really is. Life is precious on one hand, but completely common and uninspiring on the other. So people will choose gold over iron, because it sparkles more.

Err. no. There is no mistake here. That is actually what it says. You don’t need religion to tell you that life goes on. ANy fool can see that by asking around.
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life. – John 5:29
For we must all appear before the jugment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. – 2 Corinthians 5:10
And [Jesus] being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him. – Hebrews 5:9
If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. – John 8:51
Righteousness delivereth from death. – Proverbs 10:2, 11:4
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. – Matthew 5:10
Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. – Matthew 18:3, Mark 10:15

I think you are asking people to stretch their imagination a bit far to say this only promises that “life goes on”.