Lives of Eminent Philosophers - Aristotle

Although I love the series. I think it’s really cool how all of the Greek is on one side, and translation on the other. My question remains…

Diogenes Laetrius quoted Aristotle in the Lives of Eminent Philosophers Volume 1, Book V by saying

I was wondering what all of you thought of this quote, it seems like a great quote for professors to use at the begining of the year… but does it really mean the obvious?

or could roots mean, plants roots. In which would mean below the ground, so pre-education is bitter, not being able to get an actual taught education… or does it mean the obvious, that the whole learning process is bitter but the result is sweet.

saying the fruit is sweet could mean a lot as well, some people don’t like fruit sweet… i’d personally rather a more mild apple, than a sweet one. So could he have meant that the roots are bitter, but the end is sweet in a bad way, such as education should never come to an end?

The context isn’t there, it goes off into a completely different subject and doesn’t explain in thoroughly. It’s not in any of Aristotle’s works, so I was wondering what any of you thought?

PS: What’s the deal with the complex board, why aren’t I aloud to post there, I’m new.

or it could be argued that while it was the norm for classical greeks to sexually abuse male teenages, aristotle advocated metaphorically the acceptance of that status quo

(and yes he did have sex with plato)

it was just his way of saying in Greek, “hey teacher, go suck a lemon!”

-Imp

nonsense

heh… you wont be saying that after we find a nice blue dress, albeit stained.