Love and affection in communist Russia

[b]Here’s a fascinating article about Russian women; written in 1995.

I have one question . . .

Why were the Commies so against love and affection ? . . . Or is this article bullsh#t ? [/b]

Anyone get a chance to read the article yet ?

I was serious ( and still am ) in my intentions to find out why the Russians lived without love.

Admittedly, the article does answer my question to a certain extent in this extract :

Look at Russia now. They are killing one another as I write
this letter. Over 110,000,000 Russians have been killed by
Russians in the last 80 years. Can you see how a country can be devoid
of love. That much killing of one’s own country men brings about men
and women who show very little and can have very little love. For 150
years in America we have not killed one another on vast scales like
Russia. The killing and the communist teaching simply changes the way
one looks at and handles love.

However, there is a mention of " communist teaching " ( in bold ) but I haven’t been able to find any further information on this.

Also, in this extract :

In Russia there is no such thing as double beds. Husbands and
wives never sleep together. Not even one family out of a thousand has
double beds. All sleep in separate single beds. Russian women have
never even considered sleeping night after night with a husband.

Is ( or was ) that true ? . . . And if it is true then what could account for that ?

Are there any other cultures that don’t make use of double beds ?

I believe it was in ‘The Russians’ by Hedrick Smith, where he discusses at length the degree of isolation and internalization that occurred in Russia due to the Totalitarian regime. I would check out that resource.

I also think that placing the blame solely on Communism is a failure, though it no doubt played a huge role. Russia does not have a Romantic tradition in the same way that Europe does, so applying Western European notions of love and marriage that have their origins in Troubadours and such, as opposed to the more distanced notion of marriage because it has retained its original, contractual, meaning which has taken a back-seat in modern European countries.

Traditionally, marriage begins as a financial contract, and over time matures into love. In the Western version, marriage begins in love and (well, 67% of the time in America) ends in a financial agreement.

Now, if people are entering the marriage with radically different notions of what a marriage is, how can disappointment not follow? The westerner wants Love and Romeo and Juliet, and terrible poems where ‘you’ rhymes with ‘blue’ and roses are invariably red. The bride’s vision of the marriage, at least initially, is closer to reading a report written by Alan Greenspan.

Cross-cultural misunderstandings.