MagsJ appreciation thread

_
On Value and Fact

Facts and values are two distinctly different things, to me… one is definitive, whereas the other requires discernment.

Facts require hard evidence, values do not… values only require a reaction to external stimuli, to prove that they exist, and are pertinent to us… if no-body else.

I use definitive to categorise “statements of fact” and discernment to categorise “statements of value”, to differentiate between the two… in my mind, thus allowing me to separate fact from fiction, and so make better judgement-calls, decisions, and choices… with ease.

Value: I initially discern if something is aesthetically-pleasing to me or not, next… to what degree it is or isn’t pleasing to me, and lastly… whether I like it, want it, want to buy it, etc… or not.

Fact: Pizza is delicious (a feeling), but I am highly allergic to it and to all processed foods (a fact), so I choose not to eat pizza nor all other processed foods (a decision).

Time: Can a person have felt differently, from how they had initially felt at the time? That doesn’t make sense and so cannot be, as we can feel differently after the initial reaction to a stimuli… due to a change of heart and/or mind, but that cannot change the initial feeling we initially had, as such changes are time-dependent (after the fact) and not just whim-dependent (in the initial moment).

Thank you…

This is basically sound and I agree. Values are real, but not the same kinds of properties that are talked about with indicative statements. Confusing ‘tr he cat is on the mat’ as the same kind of truth as ‘the icecream is delicious’ is the first wrong turn.

Indeed… as the former is definitive, the latter discerning, so… truth/value, hard evidence/a judgement call… though with the latter being a subjective valuing, it can be viewed as almost being an objective fact, if the vast majority feel the same way about it, but not quite… so give or take a few percent.

The former also relies on logic and reasoning, the latter on feeling and judging… so extrinsic/intrinsic, impersonal/personal etc.

There shouldn’t be any confusion or mystery, in distinguishing fact/truth from fiction/value, as they are arrived at by different mental means… though rarely can a dichotomy arise, where an indistinguishabilty creates an unsureness in the categorisation process of definitions.

Just as many people hate anchovies as rave about them… and whisky, and caviar, and wine, and fruitcake, and many many other foods… so definitely down to a matter of taste, not truth.

The cat is on the mat is a given, and doesn’t even need contending… the cat likes being on the mat? now that is a contentious issue and therefore up for question.

Just jumping in here to further appreciate Magsj.

:wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HWEpIbHbc[/youtube]

_
Photog: B&W

68AD7D12-8594-438F-99AE-C7217F7DE9CB.jpeg
Drawing: Black ink on white 100gsm, drawn from sculpture not photo

B058CA66-3431-4595-8FFF-D6ED2F863D13.jpeg

Pretty good, mags!

That is great art skills.

Cheers poppet. :slight_smile:

You ain’t too bad yourself. ; )

I’m thinking of/trying to, get back into art and drawing, but I need a bit more inspiration, as my will-to-want-to is still very very lacking.

Thanks pal!

That was from 3 decades/31 years back.

Not sure what ma Art and card-sculpting skillz are like now, but I’ll soon be finding out. :stuck_out_tongue: That was my favourite concept to create and encapsulate, so probably best for me to start there… with what I actually enjoy doing and gain pleasure from.

_
Groucho and I… mon favori comedienne, pour tout le temps.

92D95EB6-9D5E-4225-B7AF-E7DFE20B2916.jpeg

Work in blue, a Picasso piece… deconstructed, then reconstructed,
in blue.

Concept, object, (amended to add), concept… again, colours = finished piece… bleu
et vert, mon couleurs favori.

B8E1FD02-9B7C-4220-93E9-759723E5852B.jpeg

_
All a-lo-ong.

This is Vanity Fair: please remember, Vanity Fair is a very vain wicked foolish
place… not a moral place certainly, nor a merry one though, very noisy… a world
where everyone is striving, for what is not worth having.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhbLXzZTtdc[/youtube]

After a few weeks off all work-outs, it’s back to ^^^ come Monday :smiley:

Can’t wait for those endorphins to hit!

Yea, well this never happened, so… after another coupla weeks off,
I plan to do a short midnight workout, of squats, and push-ups, and planks…

Consistency is not the major factor here, as it’s more about maintenance,
so no stressing about that, as less is more… on the matter of maintenance,
so too much is counterproductive, for accruing maintenance gains.

_
I wonder if I’ll get a post-workout ache,
from a 1 (tri)-set workout… better not. :-s

My heart! (revisited…)

My heart, it sometimes bleeds pink…
But often times, it(‘s) bleeds blue…
It bleeds mostly blue… for (because of) you.

_
Gettin lit

740CEE8B-174F-4FA3-B967-86E27C430A12.jpeg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73p_jWRwkKI[/youtube]

_
I’m currently appreciating K-pop tonight…

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxaPczyyZk[/youtube]

_
…A boy :romance-inlove:

I could watch this guy dance for hours…

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZ33JQs31E[/youtube]