Making iambiguous's day

viewtopic.php?p=2666147#p2666147

What does it mean to be closed-minded other than to hold onto an opinion for an infinitely long period of time?

Isn’t that what Biguous the objectivist used to do in the past? Isn’t that what he still wants to do but for some reason can’t?

This alone betrays how rigid, how emotionally inflexible, he is. For he is fine with any option so as long he can hold onto it for an infinitely long period of time. If he cannot have his mind closed for an infinitely long period of time then at least he can have it open for an infinitely long period of time. From one extreme to another. So as long it’s an extreme, it’s good.

How does a normal person organize his periods of openness to new information (exploration, perception) and closedness (direction, judgment)? Does he not switch between the two periodically? Does he not keep his mind open for a period of time before closing it? And does he not keep his mind closed for a period of time before opening it once again? And how does he determine how long he should keep his mind open before closing it and how long he should keep his mind closed before opening it? Is that not determined by one’s nature, by the type of person one has evolved to be, rather than by something external, such as some kind of authority, be it in the human or abstract form?

He considers himself to be the pillar of flexibility but that’s only because he exaggerates the significance of his deeds, namely, that of changing his mind from being infinitely closed to being infinitely open. This must be seen in the context of his extreme inflexibility. It must be really impressive for such a rigid man to be able to exercise such a tiny, nearly insignificant, degree of flexibility.

I’m sure going to miss gib… :wink:

Well, guess what, I’m back! :laughing:

Gib? Yeah, that name does sound familiar. :wink:

How are things?

Well, regarding prong #1, I’m still largely, uh, “uninformed”. And, regarding prong #2, I’m still grimly hoisted on my own petard.

On the other hand, given that I am increasingly tugged in the direction of a wholly determined universe, it’s not like it could have ever been any other way.

Right? :wink:

Hmmm… how 'bout other than in terms of your dilemma? How’s work?