Map of the Market

In case anyone is unaware of this site, Map of the Market is a visual representation of the ups and downs of the market, grouped by industry. It’s a great resource if you are into trading, and it’s interesting for the uninvolved as well.
For instance, right now, in this time of national economic crisis, the financial sector is doing remarkably well. I was shocked. I don’t know much about economics, but I’m reasonably sure that this flies in the face of what’s portrayed in the popular press.

It’s like a idol that we all worship which runs our very lives full of 111111 and 0000000’s.

Thou shalt have no god before ILP.

I’m interested to know what the size of the squares represent, if anything. I’m trying to search for a 52 week chart of the financial sector. Since I started working in finance in 2006, it seems the financial sector was on the up and up. It seems to me this would be due to the economic prosperity between the tech bubble and 9/11 crash and now.

In addition, banks are teaming up with broker-dealers, and I think it has had a very good impact on those companies (JP Morgan buying chase, BAC offering stock trading, Schwab offering banking services, Wachovia offering bank and brokerage services, etc.). Undoubtedly, the cross selling of bank and brokerage services has given folks a one-stop shop per se for their financial needs.

I don’t think the effects of the credit crunch and subprime meltdown have been felt to their fullest extent, but I think it’s started. Most of the big financial companies, even though they are in the positive, are either slowing down dramatically or having falling share prices. Just look at the 52 week high/lows.

I’m not positive, but I think size is correlated with size. Perhaps market capitalization or volume of shares. Wal-Mart is appropriately large for that to be the case, and lesser companies are smaller. I think it explains it somewhere, but my computer is having trouble loading the applet right now so I can’t check.

Well, I’m an idiot. There is a radio button where you can change it to chart 52 week, and when you do that, you can see how terrible the financial markets have done. Today, however, they did a little better since the Fed kept the rates the same.