Marriage? Is it really worth it?

We work our adolescence to death. We save up money for college. Some money is left over. The money left over starts to pile up. You meet a girl. Your wallet slims. You love this girl. Your wallet is damn near empty. You get a better job. Your wallet starts gaining its weight once again. Relationships can never remain idle. You get engaged. Blow all your money on the engagement ring. Luckily, your job is well paying enough to get your dollars up once again. You surely can’t stay engaged forever. Now we have to buy the crucial wedding wing. And don’t forget, inevitably, you going to have to buy a ring of higher value for the marriage. You blow all of your money once again. And as for the ceremony itself, you are going to have to get a loan. Uh oh, Kids.

All of this, just to show, that I love you. Why can’t I just love you, and be rich?

Or is life just about keeping her happy?

Is the process of marriage really worth pouring money into?

Do you really need this ring? It is all but a mere historical symbol.

If you really need this, I shall do this for you.

But just know this, we will never live happy.

Life can be beautiful, If you have money.

I like the gesture of marriage. It’s romantic.

Romantic but impractical.

In my opinion? Marriage to someone who approaches mutual decisions this passive-aggressively would never be worth it.

Obviously, your real relationship is to money, not her.
Marriage is well worth it, if your focus is on maintaining a loving, growing relationship between the two of you - not what you need to spend to keep her. If that’s what she’s about, lose her! If that’s what you’re about, set her free and sleep with your money. You’ll be happier.

marriage ----is it worth it?

you dont have to get married…you can have an excellent loving relationship without marriage…

you can even live in different houses…

what is the big deal here?

Impractical?

My wife was pregnant for the first half of the last year and the second half she spent largely raising our newborn daughter. Do you have any idea how much more of a tax refund we got, “Married, filing jointly,” than we would have had, “Married, filing individually,” or if we were both single with me filing head of household?

Tax benefits kind of bursts the romanticism of it all :laughing:.

The impracticality I was thinking of though is the rigmarole of seperation i.e. divorce.

It depends on how long you wait to get divorced. If you are married long enough, the tax benefits can often offset the costs of divorce.

Geebus, Pav. At least put a smear of butter on the dry toast… :unamused: :laughing:

I’m all for the romanticism, but Pav has addressed an important, maybe most important, hurdle in marraige: Money. Any marraige counselor will tell you that money problems are BIG issues in keeping a marraige together. So back to the OP…

In my profession as a pawnbroker, I had the unfortunate opportunity to sell engagement rings, wedding rings, wedding sets, and usually they came from failed engagements or failed marraiges. Many times, I had young couple customers with stars in their eyes who obviously were a bit short on money - or they would have been shopping for rings at the great big diamond store at the mall. (read: paying six times wholesale) It was always a judgement call, but unless they were hellbent on having those rings, I would point out that rings wouldn’t do the laundry at 10:30 at night after a hard day at work. Nor would they store food that could be defrosted and nuked at 7:30 when the fucking car broke down on the way home from work. If a couple wants those things that make a marraige work smoothly, spend the money on a washer and dryer, then a freezer. Go to Wallyworld and buy a cheap ring with the promise that some day, it will be replaced with the good stuff. Is it romantic? Well, it might miss the mark a little, but it says that true love just might be doing those things that will make living together as stress free as possible.

To those who disregard the money issue in favor of red roses and boxes of chocolates, there is no need to tap into consumer glitter in order to be romantic. What is romance is what is in the heart, not the wallet. If the committment to marraige requires foregoing the very things that help keep a marraige together, then it’s seriously off the track of success. Marraige isn’t a Harlequin romance paperback.

That is kind of a really stupid question, and even worse reasoning.

Money is a means to an end.

Marriage is a means to an end.

However, in all the words, you never recognize this, nor even hint that you know what that end is.

That is why you ask the question, because there is something you don’t know, however, you never recognize that and go off on a tangent as if you did.

Wealth is not in the money, nor is it in a spouse. As the mind, which is what we are, has but one definition, wealth is measured in terms of that.

Secondly, money is an inanimate object. A spouse is animated, sometimes. I think? I would have to guess at that as I have only been married 4 times, and yup, all I ever worked for disappeared, or did it?

Something did leave, time. There is no way that money nor a spouse can bring that back.

I still remember what I saw in marriage, two people working together for common goals, but I do not think I have the resources, time, to try and achieve it anymore.

Together or alone, if you believe in something you work to achieve it. I think my internet archive and youtube postings say that I have. No, not nearly as well as with someone, but I guess we cannot have everything. The wealth is independent of the means, in either case, be it money or friends. People are generally not too bright, so I will spell it out.

When I was being trained, I was given to see things to come. Unlike others who thought that this is a good thing, I did not, for I knew it was not by my own ability that I saw these things. I rejected it because we live by our own vision. That is our wealth–that is what the mind, what we are for. To that ends, we live a life of learning, and what we learn, no one can take from us. The discoveries I have made just in geometry will outlive all of us.

Now I will go off on a tangent. There has always been confusion between the terms prophet and seer, the distinction should be obvious now.