Math Fun

I figured it out.

it’s these letters: “what letters come next”

:laughing: No. Nice try though. Can’t fault your logic but as you yourself said the answer is not what logic says, but what is the actual answer, even if you are technically correct.

[tab]T[/tab]

well they’re in alphabetical order, skipping some letters and adding some spaces and stuff

here is the hint to my problem:[tab]http://primes.utm.edu/lists/small/10000.txt ignore 2 3 5 7[/tab]

How about I give all 5 of the remaining letters in the sequence just to prove I’ve got it, since I only just untabbed previous guesses and it seems Abstract already got my answer… though he didn’t know why… which makes me wonder why he guessed his guess?

[tab]V,W,X,Y,Z[/tab]
As for Abstract’s sequence, I considered music since the numbers only go from 1-8 (an octave), but then I played it and it sounded awful. But since his most recent post indicates that it’s just about primes, I find I’ve lost interest.

[tab]Correct he siad S or T, I therefore assumed he didn’t know the answer because he had not specified T as the only answer, I then suggested he give me the 4 letters, so that it would show he had solved it, so I could be sure.

It’s obvious enough, S has curves T is all straight lines, it’s a topology maths problem. Which letters of the alphabet can be decsribed by a function that has only straight lines and which by functions that have curves, not all are linear, as when we write we sometimes take the pen from the page but all are mathematically describable anyway[/tab]

Don’t untab these ones work it out, it’s not that hard really. :slight_smile:

Ok well I am pleased I was on the right lines with primes. I think I have it now but meh. :slight_smile:

[tab]if you get rid of all the primes all that is left is a sequence of non primes so the answer is those which you dould I suppose use the primes to determine the non primes. D’oh I should of got that.[/tab]

So did I get it or not? I need confirmation :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes spot on well done. :slight_smile:

Still I bet no one can solve Zeno’s paradox and show why it is not a paradox without using the internet.

Clue: 1/2 of the time is not equal to half of the distance, necessarily, eventually as an analogy a bouncing ball comes to rest at a limit.

The answer is radiation of “movement”, another clue.

Fire an arrow time moves on, the object you are trying to hit moves on, but it does so presumably uniformly so the arrow never reaches its target or does it?

tralix the answer to you problem is [tab]AE FHIK LMNTVWXY Z[/tab]

so is know one going to chance another guess at my problem?

Correct. But even more importantly is anyone going to resolve Zenos paradox?

I thought I already solved your problem with the prime non prime thing, if that’s not the case then what more to it is there, the primes denote where the non primes appear and the non primes are hence there only as the solution? Is that wrong?

The next number is 2 if we ignore the primes, then the next number is 4 and then 8 if the primes are in the right place? Your problem is annoying if that’s not the solution because it has millions of solutions. Each prime and where it appears shows where the non primes will appear and what value they have :stuck_out_tongue:

no the next number is 7 now whats the next?

The next number being 7 only means that the numbers following will be non prime according to it and how many primes do or dont follow. I don’t get what you are asking?

There’s no answer I can give accept that if there are several primes then the numbers that follow are intimately related to them. 7,2,8 and so on.

here is the answer then[tab]ignoring the first 4 primes you take the prime number and sum its digits and sum those if multiple digits till you get to one digit and that gives you the number…[/tab]

Yeah I am rubbish at this shit. :laughing:

I’m much better at lateral puzzles. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice puzzle though, my only saving grace is no one else got it either. I do officially suck, hats off to Abstract. :slight_smile:

Tralix:
[tab]TVWXZ[/tab]

EDIT: totally missed the other two pages of this thread! :blush:

Wrong :stuck_out_tongue: Well not wrong, but you missed one.

Hint: [tab]It’s very unphilosophical of you to not ask “why”.[/tab]
Abstract, I may have got yours if it hadn’t: [tab]missed out the single digit primes - though I can see why you did.[/tab]
Tralix, I don’t really understand your question. You just want someone to solve Zeno’s Paradox mathematically?

Right but forgive me if I don’t send you a cookie for that one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it so hard you can’t solve the arrow and turtle problem? Fire an arrow never hits its target.

I’ll give you a clue calculus!

Trust me this is not a hard problem, people solved this even in Aristotle’s time. :slight_smile: