Meditation will solve all my problems!

It’s a comforting notion to think that when all the drugs, “and everything”, don’t work there’s always meditation. Surely, if you get good enough you can transcend any painful/unrealistic psychiatric state of mind.

Well meditation won’t solve ALL of your problems. Even the historic Buddha is said to have complained of back pain in his old age.

You might want to read this article too:

Even the Best Meditators Have Old Wounds to Heal
by Jack Kornfield

For most people meditation practice doesn’t “do it all.” At best, it’s one important piece of a complex path of opening and awakening.
buddhanet.net/psymed1.htm

Still meditation is a wonderful and highly beneficial practice, an important piece of the whole puzzle.

I agree on the meditation part (I do my own version, as I can’t sit still “doing nothing” for long…Type A+ personality and all…). Now, in the West, we have “mindfulness” which is basically meditation plus a few other things (I should know more about it but haven’t read much and haven’t trained in it yet). Once again, we are re-inventing the wheel and pretending that we discovered something new (even though the East has had it for thousands of years… :unamused: ).

Good point xanderman: meditation isn’t going to solve your back pain… maybe it will do something.

Meditation doesn’t solve problems. It may allow you to ‘see’ more clearly, or from a different perspective, but meditation by itself does nothing. One caveat: Through meditation you may find that you don’t really have any problems. Problem solved! :laughing:

JT

But meditation cab be a means to solving problems.

If you have interest in meditation, it is imperative that you read the following:

Type Vipassana on google. Vipasssana is the meditation technique Buddha used to reach illumination.

There are Vipassana meditation seminars all over the world. You can find one near where you live, I’m sure. You pay by donations, so you having little money is no barrier.

I’ve done one seminar. Lasts for one week, no talking, only veggies food and you meditate 5-7 hours a day. I managed to meditate for 2 hours, but it’s the longest I persevered.

Etienne

using a certain system to meditate, is just self hypnosis. Meditation can be done throughout your day, there is no need to sit out in the backyard, legs crossed humming “ohhmmmm”. No talking is absurd. If you wish to speak, then you should speak. Applying rules to meditation brings about conflict. You wish to speak, yet you can’t so you force yourself not to. One part of the mind trying to establish dominance over another part of the mind. Its the same as trying not to think. If you are trying not to think, then you are still thinking. There is still that movement of thought within you. Meditation should allow you to act naturally, and not according to some system or another.

And yes D I believe that meditation can solve all of your mental problems, and can bring you to a better state of body awareness.

I’d reccomend Krishnamurti to you if you have not already read him.

Valid points.

But Vipassana does work.

To reason to not talking is to reduce mental distractions.

Sitting in a certain position and remaining motionless while only concentrating on your breathing is the first step.

Being in a constant state of meditation requires years of practice.

Have you ever tried it?

Etienne

I’ve read that meditation can cause and make depersonalization worse. Any comments on this? How do I get started with meditation, and can it help with this detatched feeling, can it help with any mental problem?

I’ve literally got nothing to do, so the practise thing doesn’t bother me.

Meditation COULD make dissociation worse, just as putting people “on the couch” in psychoanalysis can…it leads to further fragmentation and/or decomposition (and possibly psychosis…depending on how bad the person is doing).

On the other hand, as I mentioned above, meditation is a part of “mindfulness,” which is now being used in the leading treatment for borderline personality disorder–which often involves depersonalization, fragmentation, splitting, etc., So, if done properly and with a GOOD GUIDE, meditation should be able to bring benefits to a person. However, if there are ANY concerns about what I wrote in the first paragraph, meditation on one’s own might not be the best idea…or maybe start off with very “LIGHT” meditation. But what I wrote in the first paragraph is extremely, extremely rare among people who’ve never had any such problems, and probably not so common in people with a history of dissociation…but it IS more common “on the couch.”

As to where to begin from, it depends what your ressources are.

I could explain to you how to proceed, but meditation has to be done in order to be mastered and ultimately understood.

Here are my suggestion:

*Rent a book, some of them explain pretty well how to proceed.
*Go to a meditation seminar. They’re not expensive and you will proceed 100x faster in there.

As you progress in meditation, you will become more sensitive to subtle sensations. At the end of my seminar, I had reached a point where I could feel the blood running through pretty much every single part of my body.

I think meditation can help because it helps you focus and you become more aware. It’s hard to explain, you’ll understand when you do it.

Etienne

Good luck.

Just try to be passively aware. Don’t try to control your thoughts. Like don’t try not to think, but just let them surface, and die as they would. Honeslty I can’t tell you how much I strongly reccomend Krishnamurti for cofronting any problem of the mind. I personally became injured some time ago, and had trouble dealing with post trauma stress. I tried everything to calm my anxiety, Krishnamurti was the only thing I ever found that actually confronted the roots of the problems, rather then trying some technique or another to lessen the anxiety, and the introvated state I was in. Instead of a techiniqe to dampen the symptoms, confronting the root of the problems, actually allowed me to completely be free of the fear.

I do tai chi, it helps with my breathing, and body awareness. I’ve sat and enjoyed a beautiful view many times, but I’ve never put any constraints on my motion. If I wish to move I move, If I wish a different angle on my view I follow that. Being in a constant state of meditation does not require years of practice. How does meditation, of the sort you are proposing, help one in our westernized culture once he is done sitting motionless and now has to go back to confront the problems of society, his family, and the stresses at his job? Why can’t meditation continue whilst he is whith his family, and at his job? And if one is putting a restraint on thought how can one solve his problems that deal with thought ?

‘Technique’ has nothing to do with meditation. (As someone said), ‘passive awareness’, listening, giving complete attention to the “my mind” phenomenon, is what meditation is. If there is awareness at the moment that thought arises, then the observer of thought is the actual thought that arises. It might sound strange or improbable, but it’s a fact. Then you are the observed mind which is nothing other than its own activity. ‘Technique’ is inattention.

Is very difficult to calm for that when emotional.

I liked this…

I’ve been meditating using the Roy Masters “Be Still and Know” meditation exercise. I’d be interested in hearing from other meditators. Do you think that meditation has helped you? Roy Masters and The Foundation of Human Understanding, located in Grants Pass, Oregon, has been around since 1960. The “Be Still and Know” meditation can be downloaded for free at the FHU website for those who are interesting in trying it. It doesn’t take very long to listen to it–it’s quite simple.

fhu.com

Roy Masters’ book, Finding God in Physics: Einstein’s Missing Relative, can now be read in its entirety online:

fhu.com/books/finding_god/Finding_God.pdf