multiple dimensions as explanation of the supernatural

are multiple dimensions just a theory

• yes
  • no
  • don’t know
0 voters

I voted ‘don’t know’ in the poll. I’m not an expert, but from what I’ve been reading scientist are trying find prove for this theory.

My thought is ‘what if?’. If they do exist, would that make a change?

Tuihu,

I found this web site that might shed a little more information upon the subject.

pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/dimensions.html

It would probably only change the lives of interested physicists at first and then maybe in 200 years or so they might come up with a technological breakthrough so vast and far reaching that it would change humanity for all time.

Of course they are just a theory. Time is just a theory. Three space is just a theory. (see the flatlands argument)

Many worlds is a very good theory… to place causation in the realm of the fifth dimension brings us much closer to understanding reality and how it relates to our everyday lives. However, through the method of memory, we conceptualize time. How does one conceptualize causation? Only through the manipulation of memory. Heh, as is said, “Woulda, shoulda, coulda”. Unless we can rip a hole through causation, Many Worlds is merely a theory.

I believe I can understand every single one of these 10 dimensions required. I believe they manifest themselves in our observable reality. I believe Many Worlds is a good idea. But… it’s wrought with problems… both physical and metaphysical. If Many Worlds exists, then we MUST have “souls”.

ilovephilosophy.com/phpbb/vi … 79&start=0

(above thread’s discussion was cut off by the database rollback)

Most of us can accept four dimensions. A fifth could harbor unexplainable things, like souls, aliens, telepathy and so on. Going to ten is not needed in this stage :sunglasses: . Knowing that there is more than four is a breakthrough big enough.

You made me curious :slight_smile: . I’ve read through the topic of the link you posted. It’s quite heavy, and I’m not able now to answer on it.

Concordant, what I know about the multiverse comes for a great deal also from that site. I posted it also in this topic. Mind boggling stuff :slight_smile: .

What we know, comes what we experience by seeing, hearing or whatever. Sound are wavelengths (vibrations?), light are wavelengths. There are vibrations we notice, and there are vibrations we don’t notice. It’s all detected inside our skull.

What is illusion and what is real? We don’t know for sure. Knowledge could be for sure? Knowledge extens. And my thought here is that it extens beyond the four dimensions.

If I understand right the working of the brain is still a mystery. My simple idea is that those braincells and synapses flashing to eachother makes up our consciouness in the 4d world. My intuitive guess is that this kind a model ain’t sufficient enough to explain the working of our mind. Now the leap I’m making is to the earlier mentioned vibrations. That’s memory, ladies and gentleman. That’s to me a indication of existence of 4+ dimension-> superstrings or so .

String theorists now require the existance of eleven dimensions to explain the existance of the universe. The requirement of a “soul” for alternate universes doesn’t seem like a downside to me. Rafajar (too bad you’ll never answer to this :cry: ), if you ever have an out of body experience, you will know why the requirement of the existance of the soul is actually a plus to the theory.

Where is that written? If ‘souls’ doesn’t exist, alternate universes doesn’t exists :confused: ?
This topic is about that if souls exist, they probably exist beyond the 4d universe.

Quote:
The requirement of a “soul” for alternate universes

Where is that written?

"If Many Worlds exists, then we MUST have “souls”.

I think that is the quote A.C.B. was refering to. It is the last sentence in the last paragraph posted by Rafa.

“What is illusion and what is real? We don’t know for sure. Knowledge could be for sure? Knowledge extens. And my thought here is that it extens beyond the four dimensions.”

Here’s a scenario. My father lives on the 3rd floor of a building overlooking a bus stop. In the past I have noticed that anytime I have ever concentrated on staring at a person waiting for a bus, they almost always respond anxiously, by looking around suddenly, left and right up and down. Looking over their shoulder, scanning the faces of the people in the cars stopped at the light. Almost always, more than 90% of the time, I’d say, there is some kind of reaction that points to a sudden awareness in the minds of these people that they are being observed, by an observer, or to put it a different way; they become aware that they are being watched.

My question is this. Why does this occur so consistently? there must be a human connection here maybe something like 10 dimensions? Maybe an unknown human knowledge or power that has been misconceived as an illusion.

Thx for clarifying that, Concordant. It must be a short term memory thing.

The first two sentences could use some explanation. But I could imagine it’s quite hard to explain, just as I have no sound argumenting of the theorem I’m posing in this topic. If I understand correctly, the problable existence of multiple dimensions (which is not equal to the multiverse, (which sounds like the ‘many worlds’ rafa was writing) as concluded so far in this topic), makes way for existence of human beings beyond the perceivable 4 dimensions. But i don’t get the ‘MUST’…

I must add that I look at myself as a rationalist; I investigate topdown, instead of the bottom up approach of (empirist) science. So I look at question, and try to find an answer, and then looking for falsification. I need some brickstones to underbuilt this topic. But if somebody know faults in my thinking, step forward, and help this fool out of his trip :slight_smile: .

The thing Concordant mentioned of noticing other people are watching you… I don’t know if there is explanation for it. But it sounds familiar to me. Maybe a blink of the supernatural? Nice item to investigate, it could earn 1 million dollar :unamused: .

“Maybe a blink of the supernatural? Nice item to investigate, it could earn 1 million dollar.”

Well, I could definately use 1 million $, but as it nows stands I think I would have to be able to do something like, stare at them and make them all suddenly get an itch behind their right ear in order to qualify for the prize. :wink:

My conception of this topic is very sparse. I dont fully understand the mathematical reasons why string theory demands a necessity for 10, or 11 dimensions to explain all the percievable phenomenon in the universe. What I do understand is that it has to do with particle decay and collision on a subatomic level, and that most of the expirimentation being done in this field utilize particle accelorators to discover how they react in that enviorment. I read something a couple years ago describing how under those conditions particles react in an extremely strange manner, and that occasionally they dissapear altogether or they vanish in one spot and rematerialize in another. There was also something about the nature of time in the article. It mentioned how at that level and at the speeds necessary it is highly likely that the particles travel back in time, even if the time signature they travel is measured in nanoseconds. What all of that implies I can only intuitively speculate on, but I have come to the immature conclusion that because our bodies radiate energy we influence more than we know through that aura and/or stream. I think it might possibly lead to extra sensory perception and other difficult to explain phenomenon.

Rafajafar wrote:
I believe I can understand every single one of these 10 dimensions required. I believe they manifest themselves in our observable reality. I believe Many Worlds is a good idea. But… it’s wrought with problems… both physical and metaphysical. If Many Worlds exists, then we MUST have “souls”.

Tuihu wrote:
The first two sentences could use some explanation. But I could imagine it’s quite hard to explain, just as I have no sound argumenting of the theorem I’m posing in this topic. If I understand correctly, the problable existence of multiple dimensions (which is not equal to the multiverse, (which sounds like the ‘many worlds’ rafa was writing) as concluded so far in this topic), makes way for existence of human beings beyond the perceivable 4 dimensions. But i don’t get the ‘MUST’…

You might want to read through the thread Rafa posted in the essays forum. My guess is that he was in some way refering to what he wrote in there. I forget what he titled it but it is halfway down the column and I believe it is the only one that has his name as topic originator.
I dont really understand the must either, or at least not in any way I could coherently explain.

I’m going to make it a point to look through that Nova site you posted a link to earlier in this thread. I never did a couple of months ago, although I probably should have.