Music

Ozomatli, yes! Jurassic 5 connect with Cuba and make the happiest music in the world! Even the most miserable git ever can’t fail to smile when Ozomatli hit their groove. By the way Jane, as a Blackalicious fan, what do you think of the new album compared to Nia?

Youngman18, I’m glad my post made you laugh, but you ought to have noted that I actually said that a number of 2Pac songs were seperate from the gangsta stuff that pisses me off. Still, people who call him a poet etc are misguided - if you want a ‘street’ poet look to Saul Williams - he’s the man.

sorry about what i am going to say, but i am in the middle of a very anti-objective mood phase.

What makes you think these people “are” misguided? Who is to say that you “are” right? Why do people always air their opinions as if it’s concrete fact?

HVD…

You raise a good point at an apposite moment; catching me doing something I probably shouldn’t. BUT…If you read my posts on serious threads you will notice that I am very aware of the fragility and individual nature of opinion - this is a lighthearted thread and I treated this more like a conversation than a debate.

When you talk to your friends, do you often say - “I believe Pantera are really good, though I am aware that this is just my opinion and that you might not necessarily agree with it and that my opinion may cause you offence and I sincerelyhopeitdoesnotsorry”??? In conversation we are prone to making throwaway remarks which are sweeping, unknowingly centred on egotistical notions of objective truth, and basically, ill-considered.

However, if you were to think carefully about about the potential implications and possible ways of qualifying every single thing you say, you would be a very dull, boring person (for the record, HVD aka Hiren is a very funny guy). Opinions make life interesting; they make conversation worthwhile, and are harmless when you are talking about issues like the merits of Tupac Shakur.

Imagine if I had written this - In my humble opinion Tupac was perhaps not as profound and educative as some of his followers suggest, and as such, in my potentially fallible estimation, ought not to be classified as a poet. Rather, I, your servant, suggest humbly that our attentions may be better rewarded by the poetry of one Saul Williams, a writer who my (potentially misguided and incomplete) knowledge of literature commends as talented.

Should we have disclaimers after everything we write or say!? Do you not believe in the right to free speech? Or are you someone who thinks that speech should be free, but not that free? I know you are not.

Come on Hiren; relax. All that’s important is that we realise no one has a monopoly on truth, and express this when relevant, and not when it is understood implicity, or is unnecessary - is that fair?

I know jawaad, im just pissed off with someone right now because of their inability to conced that their opinion abotu something may not be the absolute, objective truth (will post about it later, once im calm)

One thing i have noticed about myself recently. I have just started a series of meditative exercises and they seem to be having an effect. I have started using the verb to be a hell of a lot less nowadays.

For example, I used to say: “Zero 7 are shiity and are inteded only for pretentious tossers” (joke :evilfun: )
Nowdays i find myself saying (almost unconsciously) “I think Zero 7 are shitty and intended only for pretentious tossers”

But I’ll leave this for now, Im almost embarressed. You are, of course, right. This is a fun thread and not a formal, pangloss-style argument about the effects of camus’ existentialist beliefs on modern architecture.

Sorry, just venting real-life onto ilp.com, something which i have been doing far too often recently.

jawaad you made me laugh again :sunglasses:

being a true adolescent, i share most musical tastes with my friends (see louise, nicola, etc) - eva cassidy, RHCP, incubus, vertical horizon… -with some obscure ones like steely dan (so good) and timi yuro thrown in for good measure. however, i don’t understand anything jane is talking about, so that taste obviously didn’t quite rub off.

i don’t like trance.

the new rhcp album is hot sex. it’s my favourite album since ‘is this it?’, which was also hot and sexy. as are you clarice. xx

Youngman18, I made you laugh again!!?!?

That’s great! By the way, if you’re ever looking for an entertainer, I do kids’ birthdays, housewarmings, office parties and YMCA conventions. I do a mean Tupac impression which, for some reason, kids seem to love, and my friends say I look great in a clown suit.

You’re paying for my plane ticket though.

For details, call 1800-dial-a-clown :wink:

i bought it today along with mercury rev’s ‘‘all is dream’’ and both are excellent. of course, RHCP outdo the competition by a margin. v good album. lou, you are hot sex. xxx