New Math formulas

hello everybody im new here and i enjoy math and general philosophy
anybody discover any new math formulas on there own lik when u just play around with numbers i got 3

my first formula
(x-1)squared+x+(x-1) = xsquared

That’s new and/or impressive…how?

Hi Marksman,

Welcome to the forums.

Be prepared to meet all kinds of folks…some will probably criticize, and others will welcome your viewpoints…but such is philosophy.

So I guess the moral is: don’t take anything too personally.

No need to apologize for me, dorky. Anyone that takes four seconds to analyze the equation would agree.

Marksman,

Don’t worry about it. Learning and appreciating basic mathematical concepts may be a stepping stone to uncovering significantly more difficult concepts. From that point on, who knows? Maybe you will one day discover something that none of us know or could have figured out for ourselves.

You’re all so nice.

I’ve seen what encouraging below-average talent can do. It’s not pretty.

i used to love math, before i realized how menial and unsatisfying it is as a profession.

the first formula i stumbled upon that i was proud of was the formula for finding the sum of an infinite series of numbers in a geometric sequence.

imagine this pattern:

9, 3, 1, 1/3, 1/9, 1/27…

imagine if you started with 9, and then added up every concievable number in the series together. what would the limit be?

Because he had the time to do it by himself in boredom

how old are you?

Wonderer: 13.5.

Nick: I’m going to take it you’re the target viewing age of the show in your avatar.

Fin: Thanks.

At a pure guess, I would say right around thirteen and a half.

now how about: 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8… and 6, 2, 2/3, 2/9… and 1, 2, 4, 8, 16… and finally 4.6598, 2.143508, 0.98601368…

:evilfun:

4, 9, and 8.269259. Underlined portion repeating. Weaksauce.

first of all i dont spend hours on these i just find them when idling with numbers i dont think that i will get an award and also i expect there to be critics if there werent anybody who didnt spend hours on this site i would find it odd
also thats about the smartest formula here since i dont see any other formulas
the truth is math has VERY few practical uses, its really physics that is worth something
i just wanted to see what people found on there own smart or idiotic

What formula do you use? i use Limit= n1/(1- (n2/n1)

and you forgot to answer 1, 2, 4, 8, 16…

Do you have a problem with the show? :-k

and yes, I am

My bad. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 is diverging…approaches infinity.

That’s basically what I’ve been using. It’s based on this:

S = n1 + n2 + n3 + n4…

For a geometric series, n2/n1 is constant for each consecutive number in the series. Multiply the series by this ratio and then subtract it from itself and you’re left with the first number. S - S*n2/n1 = n1

Pull out the S:

S (1 - n2/n1) = n1

move to the other side:

S = n1/(1 - n2/n1)

I’ve just been doing rearranging in my head, but yes, as a formula, that’s it.

I just add them in my head and stop when the result fails to round up.

Also good.