NYC Considers Ban on Trans Fats

newstarget.com/020561.html

NYC is considering a ban on all trans fats in restaurants, and Chicago is debating over a similar issue. The ban will not have an effect on naturally occurring trans fats in meats. This would mean no more things like hydrogenated oils…an absolute killer for your body.

Thoughts? I like the idea…it’s only a small step, but a step nonetheless for better health (something completely lacking in our system today). I think the next step would be to get rid of chemicals like MSG and aspartame.

Some kind of health education in our system seems absolutely necessary…but it would probably put 90% of all pharmaceutical companies, name brands, and doctors out of business, so I really don’t see it happening in the near future. Not as long as corporations keep backing the FDA and the Health Department.

October: newstarget.com/020561.html
NYC is considering a ban on all trans fats in restaurants, and Chicago is debating over a similar issue. The ban will not have an effect on naturally occurring trans fats in meats. This would mean no more things like hydrogenated oils…an absolute killer for your body.
Thoughts? I like the idea…it’s only a small step, but a step nonetheless for better health (something completely lacking in our system today). I think the next step would be to get rid of chemicals like MSG and aspartame.
Some kind of health education in our system seems absolutely necessary…but it would probably put 90% of all pharmaceutical companies, name brands, and doctors out of business, so I really don’t see it happening in the near future. Not as long as corporations keep backing the FDA and the Health Department."

K: I must say I am against this idea. Just note the fact that
trans fats are in the food and let consumers decide.

WARNING really bad crap about to enter your body,
are you really sure you want to eat this junk?
You are? OK, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

That about the warning I’d put on a restaurants door.
that is about as far as I go.

Kropotkin

So continues the march towards communism…

-Thirst

It would be much more effecient and productive to ban dieticians.

:slight_smile: Yeah, I’m not entirely sure if an outright ban is necessary either…but it seems like people don’t have the first clue about health. Are they to blame for their ignorance? I guess if you put the warning on it then they would have to be. I do remember reading somewhere that most cardiac arrests occur after people eat out.

why the fuck not?!?

what the fuck did you think would happen after the health nazi’s banned smoking?!? do you really think you will be able to eat anything but organically grown eco friendly vegetation within the next few decades?

this freedom stolen from you by secular progressive liberal trial lawyers and the democRAT party.

[size=200]VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!![/size]

-Imp

I am quite sure that I will never be aware of the difference if they do this. I’m wondering how any of you will. I think these communities ban the serving and consumption of dwarfs, live chickens, human excrement and rat poison, as well. So much for freedom of choice. So much for the constitutional right to eat anything you want in a restaurant.

Fascists!

How can someone be suprised that Imp sees a ban against putting poison into the foods you eat as taking away your freedom.

Which freedom is that exactly, the freedom to eat poisoned foods, or the freedom to pur poison in foods?

Transfat is not poison.

You don’t not have to eat healthfully all of the time to be healthy. The fear that “you will do a thing all the time” or become addicted to it is, as we would say in Polish, is an old lady worry.

Recently, I lady friend and I discovered a soft ice cream place near my apartment. As I’m eating my chocolate/vanilla twist I swear that I can taste coconut. We go back and again with the coconut.

I conclude that this “ice cream” must by hydrogenated coconut oil, which is one of the worse. I looked up on the web how soft ice cream is made and found that the cheaper stuff is whipped oil.

Then I didn’t want anymore, but the lady accused me of not being any fun. I concluded that she was right. In the entire summer we had about three or four cones of this fake ice cream. That amounts to nothing.

Both.

-Thirst

As far as I’m concerned, it’s poison…poison is poison.

Yeah, I do see the trend of stronger government control…but it was a pretty nice change considering how many other regimes the government have put up that actually promote bad health. All the research shows how bad the stuff is. And the restaurants can still use all the oil that they want…just not the ones that turn into trans fats. Is it not protecting the consumer from his own ignorance?

Like I said though, a healthy country would put many pharmaceutical companies, doctors, and other companies out of business.

I recall reading about the US fear of red dye number 7 during the 70s. It was in everything and it caused cancer!

It was then discovered that the scientists injected the rats with the amount of dye that one would get from drinking 14 cases of red soda per day.

Capitalist researchers can’t be trusted because frequently they are operating out of some paid agenda.

:astonished:

All this time!! I could’ve been drinking 12 cases of red soda!

-Thirst

If you do that the resulting puking will wash at least six cases of red dye from your system.

It’s a winning deal.

That’s all it takes?

I think your belief that trans fats aren’t poison makes you no fun.

Changed your mind yet?

poi‧son /ˈpɔɪzən/ [poi-zuhn]
–noun

1. a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.

(dictionary.com)

Trans fats are poison. :D/

Foolish.

Pellagra

A diet that rests heavily on corn will cause this disease.

Is corn poison?

According to you it is, but it’s not, unless you eat way too much of it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

If you read the symptoms it’s clear that corn will make you go insane, right?

Far less foolish than allowing your belief to be swayed by a little teasing just to impress a woman.

Sir, you quote me out of context.

Look to yourself.