Oil Companies' Influence on the Future of Energy

The oil companies are huge. Money, political power, all of that. If and when we tend away from oil, where does that leave oil companies? It seems silly (and even dangerous, considering Iraq, etc.) to think that they’ll just go away quietly after making billions and occupying various levels of political power. I guess I’m just wondering how much influence these guys have over the when’s and how’s of our moving in a different direction in terms of energy. And assuming such influence is great, what does that mean for any sort of transition to alternative energies? I mean, you can’t exactly say, “Sorry fellas, we don’t need you anymore” given the purported scope of political and financial power these companies have, can you?

Any thoughts on this?

These men basically run the world right now, but they are spiritually void. The evidence for this is obvious.

These men are just as ignorant as average Joe & Jane. They are the products and results of institutionalization.

A few weeks ago when I stumbled on some epiphanies, I became paranoid that other people already knew what I knew.

I thought that Big Brother was watching me … but then I realized it doesn’t matter.

They are not philosophers. Thus, they are susceptible to the reason of philosophy itself…

Do the math and your voice for world change may become the loudest.

oil companies make about 4-8 cents on the gallon

taxes take 35-70 cents on the gallon

brookesnews.com/080906oil.html

-Imp

Most of the oil companies are already involved in various projects concerning alternative energy sources. You can bet that any small company that develops efficient cheaper energy sources or processes will be bought up by big oil. We have to stop thinking of them as oil companies. They are energy companies and they don’t care what the energy source is as long as they can profit from it. The only way you will ever beat the game is to reduce your energy consumption to as close to zero as you can, and get yourself off the grid as far as possible. There will be a transition to alternative energy sources, but it will be the energy companies (oil at the moment) that will be the developers and the one’s who set the price.

This is where the power shift is going to happen in American development–regionalism.

Capitalism loses its buying power as people become more and more self-sustaining.

Oil companies don’t have much power compared to any country’s power to do or not do business with the oil companies. They started loosing power in the 1970’s when countries began nationalizing their oil industry. When Sadam began trading oil in Euro’s and establishing contracts with countries outside of US control, we had to take him out, but unfortunately, our invasion of Iraq did not prevent the US from loosing control of the oil market. Now Faust argues against what I am saying, but the value of the dollar is tied to oil, and now that oil is traded in other currencies the value of the dollar is falling, this becomes a banking problem and spins into an economic problem. It is all more complicated than this, but the power of oil companies in the US, was the connection between oil and industrial wealth and what this has to do with our international relationships. It is going to be very interesting to see what happens now that the US has lost control of the oil market and India and China can now compete with the US for their share of oil.

However, Halborton (sp?) Cheney’s old company, was into oil and electric energy, and also supplying military operations. The Military Industrial Complex is this marriage of government, military and industry. The common person just isn’t thinking in these terms, so it isn’t something we can discuss. :slight_smile: the common man has a lot of catching up to do, to understand what its US government has been doing and why.

Yes … definitely an understatement. I believe that it’s the result of our contemporary socio-economic institutional education.

Our children in America today are raised to be slaves to wage-labor. People are only valued insofar as they have tangible products to sell rather than valuing the ideas themselves. A currency exchange is symbolic anyway. Dollars aren’t being exchanged, ideas are. We’re not paying at the gas pump, we’re paying in frictionless toil and overexertion across the board. The Western World’s power is up-for-grabs in the coming trade wars. America will need to go to China for our salvation–since we are tied to them in debt.

If America and China merge in order to spread philosphical, scientific, and spiritual globalization, then nothing will stop it. I don’t see how America can retain the power of the Western World without this happening. The power and malleability of our English language is the result of its previous dominance. The English language itself holds many secrets that will be vital to the American Republic.

The world acknowledges America’s nuclear superiority. We never lost it, because we have contained many other nations under a smoke-screen.

Thus, the options are simple:

1. America steps up and reinstates its socio-cultural power (through spiritual revitalization of fragmenting religions).

2. America steps down and slacks off–allowing the world market to dominate our economy and put us out of our monopoly.

If #1 happens, then America will gain the tools necessary to stay monopolized and a leading force of globalization (humanization).

If #2 happens, then dust off the “duck-and-cover” pamphlets, because the military-industrial complex will lead to a nuclear war over energy rights.