On Dialectics

That, in my view, is the ultimate downfall of Christianity. God never answers. Nobody finds Him. So who’s to be asked to worship?

In Greece they did though. Hesiod wrote a book on it. I will try to find it.

I really would be wary of these translations, but it could be a place to start.

msu.edu/~tyrrell/theogon.pdf

They had a word for god. Someone had to have stated what that word meant.

And I doubt that worshiping the progenitor of a god is quite as relevant as worshiping the god, possibly even dangerously insidious.

James also pointed out the meaning of “to pray” as “to seek of”. If you don’t know what it is that you are seeking of, how can you expect to know that you are actually praying to it?

I wonder if that bloke ever knew a word for graphorrhea.

“But what has this to do with an oak or a rock?”

Heh, I find myself again agreeing vigorously with the last line, but with things to say about the first two.

For instance, just because you know what an apple is, and there is the word apple, doesn’t mean anyone ever had to wonder what an apple is.

Regarding the worship of the Virgin, we will have to agree to disagree. I might think it denotes a lack of tenderness, not to be able to prostrate yourself, and cry, and pray to the Mother of God. She suffered a lot, and gave us a lot. And God does not choose lightly. She wiped God’s ass when God couldn’t.

Hesiod or the translator?

There seems to me, as to most Catholics, to be some mystical importance to that.

I would beg you, out of civility, not to call worship of Her insidious.

And in some places it might get you killed.

But I won’t go on about that any more.

Whoever wrote the article. I wouldn’t think that a translator added that tremendous amount of wordiness on his own.

And I said, “potentially insidious” - not knowing either way.

Well you wouldn’t. But just surf through some different translations of any work, really, that has many, specially ones spanning centuries, and you would find they can. just pick up a standard one of Sun Tsu. the man used words with extreme sparingness, yet some of his aphorisms are translated with a verbosity that would make a Chineseman snicker.

Again, kind sir, even with the qualifier, I would beg.

I believe I have not remarked suchly on any things you have named that you seem to attach any value to.

I could say, for example, that protestantism, which holds many of the thoughts you now name, is very dry.

But I won’t. Because we are being cool to eachother.

Anyway, re Hesiod, your question was if any had written about what a God is. he did.

Lol, I am now realizing, I don’t really care what you say about Jesus, and I’ve been known to go off on the person myself, having in my view caused great damage to humanity, but if you trash talk the Virgin, even though I’m not even technically a catholic, I get pissed off.

Lol.

I guess one other good reason Catholics pray to her is that she has the ear of the Lord. and most prayers to her are to ask her to intercede for us mortals.

Here is one such prayer (my own imprefect translation from Spanish):

God save thee, Mary,
Thou art full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee,
Holy thou art among all women,
And holy is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
Beg for us sinners,
Now and in the hour of our death.

Speaking of praying, I need to get back to work, wife, and wealth issues. So uwma~~