on discussing god and religion

Maybe you would be interested in Dr. Craig’s recent Sunday morning lectures over the last month addressing arguments from atheists:

1. youtu.be/jHuKQRpatqw
  2. youtu.be/piBmKiDK9mM
  3. youtu.be/HA6kkBrlasM
  4. youtu.be/fmL_S0NB9CA

I don’t agree 100% with everything Dr. Craig (or anyone else) says, but he’s usually pretty spot on.

Does God Exist?
William Lane Craig says there are good reasons for thinking that He does.

Okay, but if you are going to credit God with the existence of everything, that necessarily includes the existence of these:

…an endless procession of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions and tornadoes and hurricanes and great floods and great droughts and great fires and deadly viral and bacterial plagues and miscarriages and hundreds and hundreds of medical and mental afflictions and extinction events…making life on Earth a living hell for countless millions of men, women and children down through the ages…

Or, suppose John is hiking through the forest with his kids, and a grizzly bear attacks them. The bear devours them. Or an avalanche buries them under feet of snow and ice.

The families ask, “why?!” The buddy says, “God knows.”

And, depending on what kind of ball it is, its existence can be explained in great detail. For example, suppose it was a baseball. The buddy can link you to this: youtu.be/usnZ_rdRo_M

As for this…

Please. To note the existence of the universe and then to just assume there must be a “transcendent reality” behind it?

And then the purely speculative question in turn that revolves around any contingencies that must exist in order to explain the existence of God Himself. Did God create Himself? Did God create the universe as He did because it can only be in sync with the laws of matter or did God create the laws of matter too.

Anyone here able to demonstrate to us which one it actually was?

Biggy’s just pissed God never gave him that Grand Unified Theory of Everything he wanted for Christmas since he was a kid & Santa was letting him down.

Maybe this year?

See how she follows me around from thread to thread? #-o

She and her pinhead ilk have all but taken over ILP, and she still has the gall to harass one of the last members here who actually treats ILP as a philosophy forum!

May she burn in Hell! [-o<

Philosophy is not repeating the same “question” over and over and giggling rather than engaging with those who dismantle your commitment to nihilism.

I know, I know: define “pinhead”.

Let’s go to the dictionary: :banana-linedance:

Knock knock.

Exhibit A: ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.p … 5#p2871375

Since 1] she insists on following me around from thread to thread here and 2] from my frame of mind, her posts are not worth my time reading, I repeat myself:

If they are all just clones of you that’s not likely to happen. OR if they’re all just clones of me. :smiley:

:laughing:

No, seriously.

From PN:

Does God Exist?
William Lane Craig says there are good reasons for thinking that He does.

Really?

And how might one square that evidence with the gap between what they think the evidence reveals and all of the evidence that would be needed to know for certain that Existence itself “had a beginning a finite time ago”?

And then back to the final conjecture from Rumsfeld:

“But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don’t know we don’t know.”

Dark matter, dark energy, anyone?

Right, and how can “the Gap” and Rummy’s Rule possibly be relevant to their own “here and now” intertwining of an educated calculation and a wild-ass guess?

And then – presto! – the existence of a God, the God, your God?

As though a hundred, a thousand years from now astrophysicists will look at Borde, Guth and Vilenkin and think, “by golly, they were absolutely right about everything!”

And, what, IC’s descendants will be there with them to exclaim, “see, Immanuel Can was right, it is the Christian God that resides in Heaven!!”

Okay, any astrophysicists here – Astro Cat? – able to connect the dots between this “theorem” and, say, these facts:

Yo, Mr. R, you’re up!

Did John Calvin Believe in Free Will?
MATTHEW BARRETT at the TGC website

No, really, what is the existential relationship between Calvinism and the fate of your very own eternal soul?

“Are you familiar with Calvinist doctrine? At its heart is the concept of predestination. Calvinists believe that, at the beginning of time, God selected a limited number of souls to grant salvation and there’s nothing any individual person can do during their mortal life to alter their eternal fate.”

Okay, the concept of Calvinism. But what about the nitty-gritty existential reality of your very own soul either nestled blissfully for all of eternity in Salvation or writhing in agony the very embodiment of Damnation?

Is it really possible that the God of Abraham has in fact already selected a handful of us to reside in Heaven with Him forever and ever while the rest – including the most fervent defenders of Christianity here – are already doomed to Hell? Period. Judgment Day for each of us only as it has always ever been fated/destined to be?

What to make of this, right?

Now here of course we get into the historical accounts of Christianity. Jesus Christ [man or myth] arrives on Earth, is crucified, dies for our sins.

Then [historically] all those flesh and blood human beings putting together this while rejecting that in constructing one or another rendition of the Christian Bible.

Calvin then becoming just one of those to put his own rooted existentially in dasein stamp on it all.

God, the determinist.

Seriously, how could someone convince himself that whether he lived his life, say, embracing Hitler or doing everything in his power to defeat him, it was all entirely moot. His fate was decided by God right from the start.

Or is Calvinism just one more frame of mind such that it doesn’t matter what your fate is as long as you are able to convince yourself it was all “beyond my control…so don’t blame me.”

Read Chosen but Free by Norm Geisler.

Whenever morons gather, they gather in his name…Abraam’s one-god.
There be no other definition of the term ‘god’ other than Abraham’s.
Judaized Europeans.

‘God,’ imbeciles, is a word. A word refers to a mental concept.
A mental concept either refers to something external or something internal.
The degree of this determining the degree of the concept’s idealism.

Now what kind of ‘god’ are you morons discussing?
I’m guessing it is always Abraam’s version, 'cause your minds are trapped in this linguistic indoctrination.

Not really, discuss sacrifice, the new and the old versions , are they comparable in some ways, or are they incomparable?

Go on, mind of allegories and typos.
Tell me more.
I’m listening.

Don’t take it wrong, having lunch will get back

I never, take anything "wrong’.
Have a beer on me.
I’m feeling generous.