Petition to perma-ban Harbal

Harbal is not against being moderated one bit, but when I started moderating you the abuse was atrocious… you have only calmed down these last few months, but yet you are still here.

He doesn’t seem to be making much headway with you.

That’s no defense. It will never be self-evident to the person making that post, so as a communicative act you are simply derailing. People get to be wrong. They get to present ideas that are wrong and get criticism that is useful. And what is self-evident to you may of course also be wrong. To just come in and insult or write ‘you’re wrong’ puts you outside potential criticism. Whereas if you take the time to demonstrate your criticism, suddenly you are now open to criticism. You may give yourself a pass because you have decided something needs no criticism, it is so obviously wrong, but what you are actually doing is avoiding showing your own process of thinking, and that keeps you safe from criticism where it might actually have some bite. I can’t know if that’s why you avoid justifying your positions, but it certainly seems like a possiblility.

I’m locking this topic, it’s effectively an ad hominem against Harbal. I should have done so immediately, and I apologize for the lapse.