Philosophers and Schilzoids

You know, as philosophers, we argue about this and that. Rationalism and empiricism, idealism and materialism, but at the end of the day, I’m more interested in what unites philosophers and divides them against other humans. I’m going to go out on a limb here and make an assertion. I have a hunch, I’d venture to say; philosophers tend to be more schizoid than the average human. Naturally, philosophers are more introverted than other humans, as introvertion is more suitable, compatible with and conducive to contemplation and reflection for long durations. Naturally, philosophers tend to be more concerned with abstract essences rather than concrete existences, fantasy or ideality as opposed to reality. We’re not enthusiasts, the unexamined life isn’t worth living, not the unlived life isn’t worth examining. Observers, spectators in life, in the audience and on the fence, not particpants. Mentally active and physically lazy. Cool, detatched, removed and rational creatures, we are, or I think we are, in contrast to warm, attatched, emotional and involved. Our outer, material and social worlds are often pragmatic, spartan and utilitarian in comparison to our rich, complex, and intricately woven inner worlds. Yes, all the characteristics I’ve mentioned, the Schizoid and the philosopher have in common. Philosophers are argumentative animals, but the fact that we’re argumentative, separates us from the masses who won’t or can’t be bothered to support their shallow, trivial, baseless assertions with argument or evidence. Well, prove me wrong, right, take the test—

http://similarminds.com/personality_disorder.html

Note: This test tests for a myriad of personality disorders (ten in all). Surprise me, maybe philosophers will turn out to be… histrionic, lol.

I’ve seen numerous philosophy and personality thread tests before, and even participated in one, but I haven’t seen a philosophy and personality disorder thread before, so that makes this thread more unique and less redundant.

When you get right down to it, the philosopher is a higher sort of being, than average folk. Schizoid is not a disorder, norms are disordered.

Note: Schizoid has little relation to schizophrenia.

Schizoids are known for their idiosyncratic behaviour, questioning and/or not adhering to social norms. This is also true of philosophers, who tend to not be interesed in the presently prevalent, consensus reality. We’re interested in the truth and nothing but the truth, we have little time/patience for popularity or popular opinion. We’re interested in a good argument, nothing more. The mentally ambitious person tends to be a rebellious person (rebel with a cause), where as the mentally lazy person sheepishly and slavishly follows the trends. Her mind darts about in the wind, she’s lead by this impulse or that opinion, never grounding her beliefs in herself, in her logic or experience.

Well, allow me the honour of being the 1st philosopher to post their results—

Paranoid |||||||||||| 50% 49%
Schizoid |||||||||||||||||||| 82% 53%
Schizotypal |||||||||||||||| 70% 53%
Antisocial |||||||||||| 46% 47%
Borderline |||||||||| 38% 47%
Histrionic |||||||||||| 42% 43%
Narcissistic |||||||||| 38% 41%
Avoidant |||||| 30% 39%
Dependent |||||||||||| 40% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||| 50% 40%

The left percentages are me, the right percentages are the average human.

Hmmm, Schizoid and Schizotypal, just as I expected.

I think Antisocial should have been a little higher. Normally Narcissism is a little higher, but I’ve been feeling pretty worthless lately.

Here, have some nice corroborative evidence:

Paranoid |||||| 30% 49%
Schizoid |||||||||||||||||||| 90% 53%
Schizotypal |||||||||||||||||| 74% 53%
Antisocial |||||||||||||| 58% 47%
Borderline |||||| 22% 47%
Histrionic |||||| 22% 43%
Narcissistic |||||| 22% 41%
Avoidant |||||||||||| 50% 39%
Dependent |||||| 30% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||| 38% 40%

Here’s another thread you’ll be interested in.

Paranoid |||||||||||||||||||| 82% 49%
Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 62% 53%
Schizotypal |||||||||||||||| 66% 53%
Antisocial |||||||||| 34% 47%
Borderline |||||||||| 34% 47%
Histrionic |||||||||||||||| 62% 43%
Narcissistic |||||| 30% 41%
Avoidant |||||||||||||||| 70% 39%
Dependent |||||||||| 38% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||||||||| 46% 40%

incase anyone cares

So far, schizoid and schizotypal seem to be higher than average, just as I expected.

Borderline seems to be lower than average. No surprise there. Philosophers and Schizoids have blunted affect. They tend to rely on their reasoning faculty.

Avoidant seems to be higher than average. Philosophers seem to be asocial beings.

Well, it’s still early in the game, nothing definitive can be deduced yet.

You might say I changed drastically when i found mental ways to get around all that crap so here are my results now:

Paranoid |||||||||||| 50% 49%
Schizoid |||||||||| 34% 53%
Antisocial |||| 18% 47%
Borderline || 10% 47%
Histrionic || 10% 43%
Narcissistic |||||||||||| 50% 41%
Avoidant || 10% 39%
Dependent || 10% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||| 26% 40%

Here is probably what my results would have been last year:

Paranoid |||||||||||||||||||| 86% 49%
Schizoid |||||||||||||||| 66% 53%
Schizotypal |||||||||||||||| 70% 53%
Antisocial || 10% 47%
Borderline |||||||||||| 46% 47%
Histrionic || 10% 43%
Narcissistic |||| 18% 41%
Avoidant |||||| 22% 39%
Dependent |||||||||||||| 58% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive || 10% 40%

You seem to be a fairly balanced individual, abstract, what’s your method, not that I’m dissatisfied with my results.

High paranoid, schizoid and schizotypal, hmmm? You know, those three personality “disorders” are part of a subcategory known as Cluster A or, “odd” personality disorders. When you combine those three, you know what you get? Schizophrenia. Tell us, were you once Schizophrenic? ?

I said balanced, but perhaps, unbalanced in the opposite… prosocial direction.

Curious, what, if anything, do these personality disorders have in common? Paranoid personality disorder, why not fideistic, or naive personality disorder? antisocial personality disorder, why not prosocial personality disorder? Did Aristotle not say virtue lies somewhere in the middle between two vices? ?

Cluster A - Paranoid, Schizoid, Schizotypal

Cluster B - Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic

Cluster C - Avoidant, Dependent, Obssessive-compulsive

Not specified - Depressive, Passive-aggressive, Sado-masochistic

Schizoids are known for their idiosyncratic behaviour, questioning and/or not adhering to social norms. This is also true of philosophers, who tend to not be interesed in the presently prevalent, consensus reality. We’re interested in the truth and nothing but, we have little time/patience for popularity or popular opinion. We’re interested in a good argument, nothing more. The mentally ambitious person tends to be a rebellious person (rebel with a cause), where as the mentally lazy person sheepishly and slavishly follows trends. Her mind darts about in the wind, she’s lead by this impulse or that opinion, never grounding her beliefs in herself, in her logic, experience or personal preference.

Paranoid |||||||||||||| 58% 49%
Schizoid |||||||||||| 50% 53%
Schizotypal |||||||||||| 42% 53%
Antisocial |||||||||| 38% 47%
Borderline |||||||||||||| 54% 47%
Histrionic |||||| 30% 43%
Narcissistic |||||||||| 38% 41%
Avoidant |||||||||||||| 58% 39%
Dependent |||||||||||| 46% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive |||||| 30% 40%

Wow, I wonder if this indicates that I’m likely to relate to and understand many different types of people? 'Cause I do feel that I am somewhat strong in that area.

Also, I’m definitely not surprised that my largest deviation from “the average web score” is in the “Avoidant” category. I have often lapsed into an avoidant personality when I am stressed.

How does your score indicate that… because you’re relatively balanced?

Why do you think that is? Is it because you feel unconfident when you’re stressed, and you want to avoid exposing your vulnerabilities?

Do you think philosophers and people with a philosophical disposition tend to be introverted, either because they fear people, are misanthropic, or just indifferent, content to be alone?

Yeah…I’m not sure what I was thinking there. Maybe that because my scores line up closely with the averages of everyone that I’m not too far away from either end of the spectrum and therefore in a unique position to empathize with all types.

Pretty much… like the SimilarMinds description says, I’m often “socially inhibited” and I used to have a lot of difficulty taking criticism.

No, I don’t sense that the introversion is due to fear, misanthropy, or indifference. I’d say it’s more because of their preferences of focus and attention. Antisocial and avoidant personalities can line up just as well with extraversion as they do with introversion.

Sort of 8-[

Its complicated…

Summary:
Realized everything was only a matter of possibilities, nothing was certain…everything was indeterminate including indeterminacy…And I had a mental reboot (not break down… a reboot…there is a difference Ihad already had plenty of break downs…)

I began to operate while mainting all the various “paranoid” thoughts without ‘beliving’ any of them to be so likely… I began to connect more probabilities, but maintain all the outliers that most people get rid of for the sake of certainty…

I realized that everything is connected and that i am, as any, a compounding of the infinity that is everything…

There is a good bit more…but yeah…
A good bit of it though had to do with stopping addictions and drugs like the zyprexia for the schizo crap (after which some serious rebound) … and tobacco smoking…changed my diet to mostly vegetables and then went vegetarian (schizos can be helped by diet too, but i didn’t start that really until after a bunch of the other relizations…but it seems to help: foodforthebrain.org/contentent=1638 )

Paranoid |||| 18% 49%
Schizoid |||||| 30% 53%
Antisocial |||||||||||||| 58% 47%
Borderline |||||||||||| 42% 47%
Histrionic |||||||||||||||||| 78% 43%
Narcissistic |||||||||||||||| 62% 41%
Avoidant |||||| 30% 39%
Dependent |||||||||||||||||| 74% 37%
Obsessive-Compulsive || 10% 40%

Not sure how that fits with the hypothesis.