Philosophy: a prohibited topic of normal conversation?

For whatever reason, philosophy can be so boring to discuss in person with other people. I don’t like to talk philosophy with other people, and other people don’t like to talk about philosophy with me. I’d rather just shoot the shit, make some jokes here and there, tell some stories, and talk about superficial nonsense. Philosophy is enlightening, but I have yet to found one person who I can sit down in a coffee house and discuss philosophical issues.

I understand why girls probably will find philosophy majors a tad boring. Philosophy occasional induces feelings of happiness, joy, and enjoyment, but those feelings are rare. More often, it induces feelings of anger and frustration, especially when you’re arguing with a blockhead.

There are a certain number of highly intelligent people who have difficulty getting along with society for the reason that they focus on issues like philosophy or logic. To get along with society, you really have to express yourself. You have to explore your emotions. You have to express wonder at they skyrise, instead of thinking about the purposelessness of beauty. You have to scream to the driver that cut you off - “FUCK you, SHITHEAD” - instead of thinking about the Golden Rule. You have to express your surprise at the tastiness of a burger - “This burger rocks!” - instead of thinking how this experience is simply a repetition of what you have had many times before. It’s more entertaining to hear a person scream to a bunch of baseball players, “You FUCKING suck!” than to hear someone propose a theory as to why evil exists.

As long as I stay away from philosophy, away from logic, and move towards expressing my emotions and towards expressing my feelings, my conversations are normal and fun. Philosophy stifles the good feelings.

The main purpose of philosophy is not to be entertained. The main purpose of philosophy is to be enlightened. Most other people could care less about being enlightened, and they could care less about discussing philosophy.

You know…it really does all depend on the people you hang out with…

Well if you ask me, I think philosophy is a wonde

Oh, hang on, the pizza I ordered just came.

Super-Supreme…

Mmmm… :smiley:

I know exactly what your saying nyman. Believe me, I have tried starting philosophical conversations with my closest friends, and I failed miserably. My life was actually threatend several times in those scenarios. Anyways, I have met people that I can have these conversations with, but they are few and far between. Luckily my family who I spend alot of time with and enjoy spending time with are an essential outlet for my philosiphizing. Especially since they are the smartest people I know… Anyways, Iroel is right though, it does depend on the people you hang out with. I could easily choose to make good friends with every person out there with whom I could hold a philosophical conversation, but for some reason, I have found that the friends I keep now, well, they are just so much more entertaining and fun to be around than most of the people I could hold a philosophical conversation with. Im not sure why but it could be my americanization.

You see, I have found that the people that are philosophical are generally more aware of the world and, well, smarter than those who are not into philosophy. This is all good and well, but I have also found that those same people have a greater apreciation for consequence and are generally more wary of it. In other words, they are a bunch of pussies… And when I came to America when I was 5, I distinctly remember having this impression of this country, and this was of a country that was much more easy going, much more relaxed, much more fun… And I noticed this right away. I quickly grew wary of my fathers strict, tradional Russian ways, and I latched on to the American lifestyle (lazy, over-indulgent, you know the deal) And right from the start I tried to make friends with people that represented the easy going, careless nature I was drawn to. Inevitably, I was drawn to the “screw-ups” Turns out laziness and carelesness have some negative consequenes… But luckily we could care less :smiley: Yea, so now my best friends and I are the stereotypical college, crazy, party, fuck school type of guys. And I like it that way… For a while though I was hiding my superior intellect, and trust me, its superior. And when my friends found out I actually went to this site and was so interested in “this crap” they were like “what the fuck?” But apparently our friendship was true, because nothing changed, they just accept this “strange little habit” of mine. But like I said, if I try bringing philosophy into conversations with them… “SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH THAT SHIT MAN!” Oh well, its nice to just stop being so thoughfull and analytical with everything sometimes, and just relax, and let things happen.

Maybe its just american pop culture that makes philosophy so maligned, because we love being lazy and careless. You think that could be it?

When you try talking philosophy with another person it uselly ends up with them enforcing traditional ideas placed in their head into the conversation. People hardley ever think for themselves now days, they just listen to what they are told. For example if i have a conversation with one of my friends about capital punishment i will argue that it doesnt actually solve anything and he will just claim that its “justice”. He probably has no idea of the meaning of justice its just something he heres often. I think society has become lazy, too lazy to even think and that is a sorry state of affairs indeed.

American culture plays a part of it. The inner workings of our brain probably play a role as well. Philosophy is like a puzzle, and you don’t get pleasure working on a puzzle, except after it is completed. My argument is that philosophy does not give you the high associated with marijuana or dope, except on rare occasions.

After being enlightened on an issue, I would sometimes be ecstatic for a week or two. However, I have only had 2 or 3 of those experiences.

The cause of my pleasure was from anticipation of a better life and from optimism after being enlightened on an issue. I was like a little child waiting for Christmas day, a worker waiting for his first paycheck, a couples waiting for dinner to be served, someone ready to start a new life. The image of the new life is so powerful that it stimulates our emotional centers to give a feeling of happiness even before reality does.
I anticipated that being enlightened on an issue would automatically lead to a better life. That assumption eventually was disproved by time, and my intense happiness faded away.

My pleasure could also have been from the feeling of being born again. Philosophy gives you these new goggles to look at the world, and everything looks funny and wonderful. The brain craves the new; otherwise, we would have been satisfied with just eating bananas and would never have come into existence.

The pleasure from philosophy is received after a random number of attempts. In this respect, it’s similar to gambling. However, the rewards from gambling are much quicker, which is why gambling is more addictive. Also, ecstasy from philosophy is rare, and it’s usually more intense in solitude, not when talking to another person.

When talking with another person about philosophy, if you’re the smarter of the two, you are doing the teaching instead of the learning. In that case, philosophy is like a job with no rewards.

Heated debates can lead to excitement, and excitement can be fun, but not once you realize the futility of heated debates and the cause of rock hard stubborn ideas (tradition, societal upbringing, intertwinement with livelihood). You can’t argue the existence of God with priests, except with the rare exceptions.

Hanging around with friends and joking with them leads to direct pleasure. People acting like idiots around you give your brain entertainment. Stories give you knowledge. You get instant gratification.

You need something like cocaine or heroine. The effects are instant. Jokes, stories, and intense expressions of emotions all provide such instant entertainment.

Intense expressions of emotions include people shouting for their team at a basketball game, girls giving cute facial expressions of their joy or disgust, people enthusing their words with hatred, sarcasm, or excitement. We have evolved to take our cues from other people, and happiness on another face gives us happiness, just as a baby would smile in response to her mother’s face.

The meat of this argument addresses our emotions and what makes us happy. Control your emotions to control your life. Understand what makes you happy. For me, philosophy doesn’t cut it, except with the rare someone.

If you know what philosophy really serve as apart from an academic subject, let alone talking about it, you can practically live it.

What philosophies do you use to live life?

Nietzschian.