Philosophy Books For the Elderly

What are some good philosophy books for the elderly? My grandma just turned 67 and she wanted me to give her a list of philosophy books to read? I don’t know if this list should be different because she is 67 or if it would make any difference if she was 27. I am assuming it would since one’s options are limited and my grandmother is already retired so she doesn’t have to decide what she is going to do for a living anymore. All she has to do is just live. The only really philosophical book she has read is the Dalai Llama’s “the art of happiness” which she loved. So books similar to that would be helpful. For instance, she wouldn’t give a shit about a book about logic.

I don’t think its fair to let anyone go through life without reading Descartes meditations- despite the fact they are very wrong. It’s quite a short read.

Then you can balance that with Hume’s inquiry.

Although, she seems to like ethics?

So maybe just a nice thick compedium of Ethics would do the trick. Something with a nice pretensious name such as Great Traditions in Ethics.

Although if entertianment value is the only issue, then you should consider Pooh and the Philosophers.

Hey lost guy, what was wrong with Descartes’ Meditations?

And Bill, go to Amazon.com and get her The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang!

I was thinking maybe “The history of Western philosophy” by Russell

and “Nietzsche and philosophy” by Gilles Deleuze.

Smooth, would that be better than Jiddu Krishnamurti’s Freedom from the known?

I think “The Story of Philosophy” by William Durant is a great pick.

Plato’s Republic! it’s starts out with a discussion about “what is life worth living after you are old”?..

What would be the best book on Nietzsche to get her?

well Bill, you know her more than I do. I’m not sure. But since she liked “The Art of Happiness”, The Importance of Living is a lot more obscure, but it is awesome. I loved it. I reccomend it to anybody and everybody. Lin Yutang is the freaking man. It’s philosophy, but it is more his personal philosophy on life. And it is very entertaining to read. Plus the subjects are down to earth and simple, instead of all this advance stuff. It will suit someone her age perfectly.

How about Robert Nozick’s, The Examined Life? You can flip through it at Amazon using their search feature:

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … ce&s=books

Simon Blackburn’s, Think, also comes to mind:

For Nietzsche you might try Robert Solomon’s, What Nietzsche Really Said:

Michael

Bertrand Russell’s conquest of happiness is a lively and engaging read. And Russell’s style can be enjoyed by everyone.

Nietzsche’s Human all too Human.

Jasper’s way to wisdom.

Definitely go for Bertrand Russell

Smooth

Well he makes some assumtions about time in there.

Aslo, the “A perfect being couldn’t lie,” move isn’t really good. You could quickly expand it to “A perfect being couldn’t do anything.”

Um there are some other little holes here and there.

Oh, there was one great counterexample to the ontological argument for God’s existance. The Negmount or “nessisarly existing gold mountain.”

other stuff… sorry its been a while.