Philosophy For Us Dummies

where are you guys going with this…this is the dummy site…

Already gave more than enough points for them to tell it was you. I didn’t say me, I said an individual tried using that argument on me. It is still a fact regardless. That is if the person was telling the truth, if they indeed did go to school in 1980.

If they check school records I said they could DNA test between family and the individual to prove that it is the person with that name, or ID, yearbooks, and etc. It is hardly if not at all comparable to the idea of “Jesus”.

“We only have you word for it. We could search the school records and we may find that someone with your name went to that school. Is it a fact that it was you?”

This is what you said ^

“Is it a fact that it was you?” You are pretty much asking how the school would know if it was them or not. Of which I provided explanation for.

It was the discussion about fact vs belief. Sorry to post so much about it. lol

art what did you decide…

What do you mean? I still stand by it, facts are indisputable. Beliefs are just believed to be, while facts are the case of what is. Regardless of what humanity knows, or loves to claim to know.

ok I agree…we are right

It’s not about being right. If it were wrong, i’d gladly admit it and show appreciation for the pointers. But unfortunately facts are facts for a reason. That reason just so happens to be that they are the case of what is and has happening/happened. Wise beings are humble, they know and embrace self humility.

So you go around saying that this is a fact and that is a fact. Then later when it is shown not to be correct, you will say that they weren’t real facts. LOL

Well, you thought that they were indisputable facts at the time.

Those are facts based on God’s-eye knowledge. Humans don’t have access that level of knowledge. Human facts are derived from observation and reasoning and they are much more provisional.

Yeah, you’re not arrogant. LOL

Wise beings are realistic and aren’t ashamed to feel proud of their accomplishments, nor are they unwilling to admit their mistakes, if they make them.

Faking humility can often appear, and usually IS arrogant.

It isn’t necessarily true, turtle, that facts are just a case of WHAT IS…though generally speaking, one might say that. Even facts may change when disproved as in the case of Copernicus proving that it was the Earth and planets which revolved around the Sun - and not vice versa. I’m sure there are a great many more facts which have been disproven over time.

It was never a fact to begin with… Just the interpretation or belief of it to be a fact. So it was not the ‘facts’ changing, but more so the belief of what was to be that changed.

Same goes for the world being “flat” as well, it was never a fact to begin with. It was just believed to be.

The real danger lies in confusing ‘facts’ which have been extensively tested and verified, with other ‘facts’ and you end up with something like the indisputable ‘fact’ that : “Aryans are the master race”.

You have no way of distinguishing fact from belief in the present. It can only be ‘correctly’ evaluated in the future.

If you recognized that ‘fact’ is what we think is true in the present, you would not have that problem.

That’s a belief, not a fact. All life is equal.

As I write and post this message it is the future. Time is simply the measurement of change. Time/age measures physical existence as well.

Regardless if we find something out that changes the “facts” as we “know” them, then they were never facts to begin with. Because facts do not change.

The difference between knowledge and belief is that we think that we have very good evidence and reasoning for knowledge. Belief has less evidence, or contradictory evidence, behind it and the reasoning may be questionable.

Some belief has no evidence at all.

A philosophical concept of time?

The present is merely a label for our interactions. We observe, communicate, interact in the present. The past is no longer available for interaction. The future is a projected/planned area of interaction.

Yes, that is your claim. I’m simply pointing out that it is impractical and wrong.

When someone talks about facts, he is talking about facts as they are know.