Philosophy ought really to be written only as a poetic ...

“Philosophy ought really to be written only as a poetic composition.”
–Wittgenstein

Is philosophical writing creative writing?

Another Tradition

The stone wall faded and no one felt
the revolution over their shoulders anymore.
Wrapped in paper, set upon the shelf
in the anteroom, the remainders shed
their insane gestures, returning to ply
the original trades: prostitutes, busboys
and salutations. The money rose straight
to the top. Terror wars commenced and the fires
rained upon the fields. In another dimension,
freedom couldn’t be the same. People disbanded
from groups altogether, learning only the lights
of neighborhood asylums. God fell apart
and words keenly followed. To say “I need
you” now meant “Spread the butter”
and “Adhere to mobility”. Across the laps,
they stretched each other, stroking
to convey the influence of contentment.

I don’t know about that, but some people certainly write as if they did not know the difference between philosophy and (bad) poetry.

Sorry I haven’t been around to type up my craziness. But being a Marine takes alot of time out of me.’

But I disagree. Creative writing is souppose to flow out of your mind. While philosophical writing should be structured. But a work of philosophy can be decorated with poetic phrases and descriptions. But that doesn’t neccessarily make that work a peice of creative writing.
For example, chinese philosopher Lin Yutang in The Importance of Living writes very creativly. But there are points he is making, and it all carrys a form. So did the poets of the Tao te Ching. But Descarte, or Emerson … … well… I kind of lost my train of thought. I just disagree, I need a nap. I’ll get back to this later.

Philosophers tend to be among the best and worst writers. The best are beautiful, sublime, elegant with an all-powerful message. The worst are dull, dreary, didactic and make you want to go to sleep. The best ideas do not have to encapsulated in the monotonous prose epitomized by a lot of philosophers.

Interesting, for ultimately all writing becomes poetry.

Thus, all philosophy; all modern physics; all mathematics; all religion; all any-discipline-whatsoever; can be understood as ‘mere’ poesie.

So, when Geo. W. Bush reads from a speech he is in reality playing the part of a stand-up poet!

And when we hear some new theory about the nature of particles, (or whatever,) we can be confident that we’re listening to a poem.

Heavy history of philosophy discussions become pretty verses: sometimes profound, often pathetic, occasionally enlightening…

Declarations of war become odes.

Etc…

Some of the first Greek philosophers showcased their philosophy in a poem. I theorize that poems may have been as ubiquitous in the daily life of the Hellene as TV is today for us.