PHILOSOPHY & PSYCHOACTIVE DRUGS

…[size=150]PHILOSOPHY, PSYCHOACTIVE DRUGS, HALLUCINOGENS, AND OPIATES[/size]

[size=124]

Psychoactive drugs, hallucinogens, and opiates serve one purpose
in relationship to true philosophy; That is, to open a door.

Once that door is opened, these mind altering drugs are of little or no value.

That door is consciousness; Our ability to see ourselves.

I maintain that self-consciousness is the root and lifeblood of true philosophy.[/size]

[size=124]
We often see budding philosophers or individuals who may be philosophically attenuated perched upon the ledge of psychoactive drugs peering into the door of consciousness and potentially, a life directed philosophy.

Those who choose to stay upon that perch engage in mental, physical, and emotional masturbation. Nothing more.[/size]

So once the door is opened and we are revealed to ourselves, what are we supposed to do?

[size=124]Work to increase the length and occasions of self-consciousness.[/size]

Well, wouldn’t continued use of psychoactive drugs (which you claim open the door to self-conciousness) aid in the endeavor to increase the length and occasions of self-conciousness?

[size=124]

On occasion, I believe, yes.

A slew of new and existing drugs may on occasion help us to remember our focus.

I painted with a very wide brush
in my original post.
[/size]

I am totally in agreement. I had OD’d on acid 44 years ago and my consciousness have been opened. Huxley was not a constant user and also a host of others, and there is a permanent door that opens up and remains open.

[size=124]

Thank you for your input and your openness.[/size]

I do have bill on ignore, but I had some thoughts on the title of the thread.
I Think there is a lot of reinventing the Wheel and being controlled and limted by one’s Culture and language when ‘doing’ philosophy. If you cannot get beyond these things, you are likely to just rehash the underlying assumptions of your own Culture or rebel against this but accept, in doing this a lot of the assumptions/dichotemies made up by the Culture/language. So how to get out?
Drugs can do this. I don’t Think it is the best way, but it is one way. A Little time with Dionysus.

[size=150]Great post.

Thank you for ignoring me…

[/size]