Pop Quiz

Binary math is simple, brains are not simple for much of what a brain thinks is filtered through the soul as well which is called one’s conscience and computers lack a conscience. Haha, now I want my cookie! Or I keep rambling.

I will post my answer but I want to give a chance first for some of the resident ultranerds that come more from the science side than the “philosophy” (I put it in quotation marks because science is technically philosophy too) side to post their answers.

_
Computers have limited memory, humans do not?

We don’t have to be plugged in, to work?

Binary offers a much faster computation speed, than our brains could ever manage?

We don’t come with a keyboard? lol

We are not a Turing Test?

While we wait for the science geeks and because it seems people here hate to do research, here is a short video I dug up on the whole “how the neuron works” issue from Harvard University.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6rvUJlg7o[/youtube]
“It chooses to either trigger or not”.

But then Harvard also said that “Mathematics is racist” - so — keep the salt handy.

:sad-bored:

:sleeping-blue:

:sleeping-sleeping:

:teasing-poke:

Computers use transistors, which literally only either let electricity through or not. What do neurons do?

You didn’t watch the video?

Transistors get triggered to either create an electric pulse or not (flip on or off 1 or 0).
Neurons get triggered to either create an bio-electric pulse or not (flip on or off 1 or 0).

See the difference? :smiley:

You must know me well enough by now to know I would not watch a video from Harvard if a gun was pointed at me.

Anyway the pop quiz isn’t for Harvard.

:laughing:

…communicate with each other.

In what way that differs from transistors?

I’m not asking a philosophical question.

This is straight science.

Transistors are inert and cannot work independently without human intervention, neurons are reactive and capable of working (forming thoughts and feelings) independently from others… though some people can be co-dependent.

Transistors work via energy input, neurons work via energy expenditure… we therefore need a constant supply of energy to keep us firing on all cylinders, as it were.

Transistors and neurons are not directly comparable. The transistor is only one of the devices used in what would be a neuron simulation. There are also wires, resistors, capacitors, sensors and so on.

I don’t believe that the thinking process has anything to do with whether the mechanisms on that level are biological or electronic. On that level it is just bits of data being relayed around in both scenarios.

I don’t believe that on that level issues of soul, spirit, intuition, emotions, cognitive thought, and so on come into play. All of those things are on an entirely different level. At the very bottom level the only difference is a biological mechanism versus an electronic mechanism.

You can bet that ALL analytical reductionists will say that same thing. The complexity of human responses and complex AI responses is a different story. On the bottom level, before any complex response begins, it is all about individually triggered pulses (information data) being sent into a collective - into a brain or into a computer.

To get to the second question -
The significant differences between human and AI behavior come at a much higher level than the binary initial stage.

This is all very conceptual. I am just asking a question about the mechanisms of computers and brains.

The binary mathematics used for computers does not apply to all the other components, only to the transistors.

Computers don’t ONLY use binary maths. So now I am wondering what you are asking in question 2.

Yes they do.

What other kind of math do you think they use?

(lol youtube.com/watch?v=o7uGPWFwg1I)

I’m no expert but I know they use every kind of maths that anyone else uses. The only binary to it is at the very bottom level “assembly code”. Everything above that is the same kind of maths that everyone uses. And probably some that humans can’t handle.