Quick thought on death/non being

In the past few years I have had raising anxiety of the thought of dying tied up with coming into this world unannounced etc. the tipical existential angst type stuff.

A thought I reinvigourated today was that- I didn’t give a shit about not existing for the eons I wasn’t in existence so why should I give a shit about it once I die as I return to that same state? That means that I can stop worrying about dying while I’m living and just live life to the fullest here and now. While living live, while non living, um… :-$ .

Yes, death has never really bothered me that much. What tends to get to me is getting older, and realising posibilities are getting more limited as you age. The knowledge that you can only travel a limited amout of infinite paths, and the pressure and urgency to make the right choices that comes with it. I really don’t want to be condemned to a live that I don’t like.

Here is some more angst.
There is nothing dead here and there is nothing alive.

A “set of instructions” exist that tell DNA to replicate itself.
“You” are as an expeience that that nonlife is having.
You were not born ,you just showed up ; and you will not die you will just dissipate.

This is my big fear as well. As long as I live a life i’m happy with then I don’t care if I’m gonna die when I’m 80, you know?

Unfortunately I’m not quite there yet. How you doing?

Your conclusion that you have never lived before this life, and your conclusion that you will no longer live after this life are both assumptions. The way I see it, there is more proof that life continues then not, so those are also flawed assumptions.

My 2 cents.

I don’t mind death, that is to say my own. The death/s of those I am close to does bother me somewhat, in terms of my own.

I think the reason that I don’t mind my own death is that I have a very strong personality, but I don’t have a great sense of it. I also have a vast affinity, security and import invested in all I have experienced, as well as that which I would wonder to experience. I am nineteen, but I have done a great deal more thinking than is the norm for my age, and have been bereft of enough feeling, which has invested in me a calm about my own permanence(of which state/s I, so far, am unaware :wink: ) in the universe. Perhaps this is why I see fleeting life and inevitable death as uneventful and so non-defining of me…though I can only speak of myself in this case, and this is not a path of which I was conscious I was taking.

My two cent. (€) :wink:

I don’t know how anyone could possibly and honestly see it that way…

I myself can agree there are some proofs. Anyone care to take a guess what they are.

Death of the body is inconsequential. The energy that flows through us cannot cease it can only change. Consider it an adventure.

There’s always Epicurius’s cheerfully logical approach which some find consoling - here’s an interesting (if very abstract and somewhat weird) little essay on it in which the author sumarises Epicurius’s line as:

1. Death is not bad for the victim before death.

2. Death is not bad for the victim after death.

3. Thus, there is no time at which death is bad for the victim.

4. Thus, death cannot be bad for the victim.

colorado.edu/StudentGroups/P … curius.htm

Some people seem to be a victom of death before they are even dead. Is That what it means being dead?

The greatest comfort that can be found in death is knowing that everybody else is going to die too.

Die mufuckas, die.

I dunno that seems like a some what cold and desparate style of comfort! :slight_smile:)

You’re reaching toward an understanding of how the “I” influences your perspectives here. And your sentiment raises another question in my mind because, after all, what’s the ontological basis for the superiority of life over death? Yeah, life is certainly preferred from the only perspective we can take as beings who live (although it’s undeniable that we’re born dying equally to living and that we’re most certainly alive at the instant before death)…just as being is presumed superior to non-being by us who are, well, beings. But to justify this superiority – perhaps confusing superiority with that which we desire more – we attempt to establish life and death, or being and non-being, as oppositional and then attempt to overcome that opposition and decree the superiority of life & being through various schemes for accomplishing eternal living & eternal being. An approach that I’ve not found to be terribly useful in coming to terms with the reality of human suchness or ‘as-it-is-ness’.