Raising P(true) for Christianity

Aliens come to the Earth, and they have a religion that - though not identical in every detail - is pretty obviously “their equivalent” of Christianity. It includes, for example, a virgin birth, miracles, an execution, and a resurrection three alien-days later.

If they’d come here as atheists, then it would’ve been a massive blow to terrestrial religions. But what would the ramifications of this scenario be? Would it raise P(true) high enough to make conversion to Christianity a “wise gamble” (cf. Pascal’s wager) for non-Christians?

I personally would remain an atheist, but I’d concede that P(true) was now high enough to force a new respect for the religion, as well as to cast new and serious doubts over the others.

This idea was addressed, somewhat, by Lewis in his space trilogy (more so in Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra) but also by Maria Doria Russel in The Sparrow and Children of God. All are good fiction reads if you’re interested.

That being said, I think that if aliens came as atheists or came with a religion that didn’t follow the doctrines of Christianity it might actually support the doctrines of Christianity. Note here that I’m not saying that it would prove them right. Mainly that “man” here on earth is alone fallen, that “man” is the one that chose against God (this is the part addressed by Lewis) It is a really interesting idea; if there is other sentient life out there how do they fit into the grand scheme of things with regard to Christianity.
If they came with the doctrinal concepts of, like you said, the virgin birth, miracles, an execution, and a resurrection three alien-days later it would seem to me that “man” would not be special in the grand scheme, that all have the potential to be fallen. I personally don’t know if life exists other than on earth, but if it does I have a feeling, with respect to Christianity, they would not be “fallen.” Can’t prove it, just my thoughts. Check out the Russel books

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

Logically, the fact that an error is extremely widespread doesn’t make it any less erroneous. That said, if an alien race that could be demonstrated to have a belief very similar to ours, and also proven not to have been the originator of ours or to have learned it from observing us, it may make the belief more compelling to many.

I imagine it could reinforce whatever beliefs one already possessed. A Christian would see evidence that God must have revealed himself to them, too. An atheist might see instead evidence that the genetic need to invent religion is even more universal than we’d previously thought. I would tend towards the latter- to me it would confirm that some things are more similar than different all across the Universe.