Rape Statistics

I posted these statistics in another thread about abortion because someone said somthing completly ignorant about a woman getting raped. They said that a woman walking down a dark alley is just asking to get raped; that it’s her fault and should have known that walking that alley would bring her no good. I don’t know about anyone els, but that is such an uneducated statement… so I thought I could eduacate…
Somewhere in America, a woman is raped every 2 minutes, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.
In 1995, 354,670 women were the victims of a rape or sexual assault. (NationalCrime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996.)

Over the last two years, more than 787,000 women were the victim of a rape or sexual assault. (National Crime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S.Department of Justice, 1996.)

The FBI estimates that 72 of every 100,000 females in the United States wereraped last year. (Federal Bureau of Investigation, Uniform Crime Statistics, 1996.)

One of the most startling aspects of sex crimes is how many go unreported. The most common reasons given by women for not reporting these crimes are the belief that it is a private or personal matter and the fear of reprisal from the assailant.

Approximately 28% of victims are raped by husbands or boyfriends, 35% by acquaintances, and 5% by other relatives. (Violence against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1994)

The FBI estimates that only 37% of all rapes are reported to the police. U.S. Justice Department statistics are even lower, with only 26% of all rapes or attempted rapes being reported to law enforcement officials.

In 1994-1995, only 251,560 rapes and sexual assaults were reported to law enforcement officials – less than one in every three. (National Crime Victimization Survey, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996.)

The National Crime Victimization Survey indicates that for 1992-1993, 92% of rapes were committed by known assailants.1 About half of all rapes and sexual assaults against women are committed by friends and acquaintances, and 26% are by intimate partners.

The adult pregnancy rate associated with rape is estimated to be 4.7%. This information, in conjunction with estimates based on the U.S. Census, suggest that there may be 32,101 annual rape-related pregnancies among American women over the age of 18.17

I really just thought that these were really interesting. If anyone els has any interesting statistics relating to rape… please share.

How is this an uneducated statement. If we all agree that dangers are out there, that rapists roam at night, that people are advised to avoid potential dangers—and someone, a lone woman who can be outnumbered and overcome by men/man, still does it anyway, then wouldn’t you think that she is in part responsible if something bad happen to her? I suppose what I’m trying to say is, taking precaution is a responsibility of everyone. That preventing a crime requires that the woman must also be advised not to put herself in that situation.

Sure, self protection is neccessary, but isnt living in fear of dark alleys just handing the power over to potential rapists? Why should we have to bow down to their sickness? And what if that woman has to walk down a dark alley, say to her apartment. Rape victims are not asking to be raped, they are simply part of a circumstance they can not always control. Sure, it may have been irresponsible to walk down that deserted alley, but is it ok that she was punished for simply living her life? And doesn’t most rapes happen either at home or near the home? If self perservation is our own responsibility shouldnt I be able to take extreme measures to ensure it?

Someone that rapes someone els is disturbed in their mind! In NO way is in any womans fault for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I know SOMEONE who was staying the night at a friends house when she was 13… her friend’s older sister’s guy friend raped her. Is that her fault should she have thought better of going to that friend’s house. Most rapes are done by someone you already know. Not as many rapes happen in dark alleys as happen by a someone you are dating, a family member, a neighbor, or a friend of a friend. If i tell you that men under the age of 35 are more likley to commit a crime than a man of an older age… are you not going to socialize with any man under the age of 35 now?.. And if you are robbed by someone you are socializing with under the age of 35, is it at part your fault?

I am only talking about those situations where one can really avoid being hurt–like literally walking down a dark alley alone. Other crimes are unforseen, I agree. But I believe that crime prevention is a responsibility of everyone. And this is NOT to equate blame to victims of crime. Taking precaution is a very strong prevention. I used to live in the Los Angeles area in California, and when police get on television to talk about crime prevention the discussion on how to avoid being a victim is always present. There are ways we can protect ourselves, one of those IS NOT TO PUT OURSELVES IN THAT situation. Again, do not equate this with blaming the victim.