Reading Groups...

I know reading groups are generally difficult to start and maintain - usually because people are apathetic or recalcitrant/afraid to venture potentially inept readings of texts; or else because they are too busy to keep up with the progression of the group. However, for what it’s worth, I would enjoy working through a couple of texts in particular - at a leisurely pace of course - if anyone is interested.

Just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

Namely the following;

Books

Wittgenstein: Philosophical Investigations

Essays

Davidson: Truth and Meaning
Davidson: Actions, Reasons, Causes
Derrida: From Restricted to General Economy: A Hegelianism Without Reserve

Regards,

James

James,

I am very interested in PI, and I am currently reading Truth and Meaning so let me know.

Dunamis

Dunamis

What do you think is interesting or noteworthy about PI?

Probably better to start with Truth and Meaning.

(I recently read The Structure and Content of Truth, which was also good.)

Give it a little more time, on the off chance anyone else is interested.

Regards,

James

James,

What do you think is interesting or noteworthy about PI?

I imagine that PI is about as important a single book in contemporary philosophy as there is. It pretty much brought to bear both the linguistic emphasis and the unmooring-possibility of the historically contingent that characterizes much of the Holism debate.

More significantly, because it is so aphoristic, it probably will be much more inclusionary, since pretty much anyone could comment on the meaning of one of Wittgenstein’s little gems, while Davidson may be a bit opaque in terms of terminology - (though much more down to earth in his own way).

It’s really up to you. I care not much either way. If you would like to do PI let me know. Also, Truth and Meaning is simply a series of essays, so not every essay really needs to be broached - unless you would prefer to.

Dunamis

Well yes, I had thought of this. My enthusiasm for the book though seems to waiver periodically, usually mid-reading. But it sounds like a plan, in any case.

I will set it up a little later.

Regards,

James

James,

Whatever is good for you and others. Perhaps someone would express some interest. Davidson is a bit obscure, and hard to find, but really pretty interesting. Perhaps a single essay, “On the very idea of a Conceptual Scheme” or “What Metaphors mean” would be better. I would be very glad to email a scanned text of such an essay if there is interest.

If PI isn’t that compelling in whole perhaps we could just work through the Private Language passages or some other portion.

Dunamis

I was of course referring to Davidson’s 1967 (single) paper ‘Truth and Meaning’. Really though I have hundreds of papers which I (too) could send out. Maybe ‘Mental Events’ is the way to go… It is probably my favourite, though I have a particular interest in his work on intensional (semantic) realism also. I suppose it is a little obscure though.

But really, I mean, we could read bloody Frege if you wanted to… Or I know… how about some of Rorty’s papers from his Vol.2 collection?

Either way, it is about time we got down to business with this whole ‘realism’ thing. Davidson, Wittgenstein, maybe even Quine (though I do not really feel like reading Two Dogmas again…) This is the area in which we should be working.

It is probably about time we got done to business generally speaking, come to think of it. There has to be some serious discussion here (on my part), at least once in a while…

In any case, once we have decided, we should start a fresh thread. Maybe you could lift your fatwa on Detrop, and bring him in to discuss ‘vulgar existentialist realism’, or whatever it is you want to call it.

Regards,

James

James,

Ah, my mistake. I’m reading Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation, which of course includes the said essay, but I transposed the titles, a thing I am always quite likely to do. Whatever it is that interests you and others. That essay too I would be glad to scan and email if necessary, that is unless you know of an e-version available somewhere.

Otherwise PI, in part or in whole, is also fine.

Dunamis

James,

I just read through Davidson’s essay and I have to say I would opt out on this one, I just didn’t find it that interesting. PI or another Davidson essay would have to be my choice.

Dunamis

Lets do PI, I have to read it for class soon anyways, might as well get a leg up… How would we go about this whole “reading group?”

Hmm looks like we’re doing PI then.

Stay tuned.

Probably just make up the ‘how’ as we go along. Roughly, I will post a section or two every few days, and we will work at a slow pace. Then I will take a scalpal, open up Dunamis’ head, and scoop up the meaty ideas. Mmmm… Meaty.

:sunglasses:

James

I’d happily do PI in a reading group format. I enjoyed it immensely when I first read it and there’s a lot of meat on that bone, not to mention some very witty parts of the book.

:slight_smile:

I would be interested in exploring matters beyond the standard academic subjects. It seems to me that we need to find a way to guide the marvelous intellects who have philosophical interests into using those intellects in the real world.

I examine many different forums and find that these marvelous intellects seem only to be interested in playing philosophical ping-pong. They spend hours tossing back and forth philosophical puzzles and witty remarks. I long for such intellects to be responsive to the real world before it, the real world, passes away.

Chuck