Reading Tips

Lately, I have been having trouble reading, in that there are many books that I desire to read, but I find myself to be incapable of sitting down to read them. I believe this problem is caused by the fact that I read very slowly, because whenever I read, I lose concentration quickly and feel as if I am taking too long per a page. And yet I worry that if I speed up, I will not take in anything at all, which will result in even more backtracking than ever before.

If anyone has any reading tips, then, I will be very grateful. I really want to improve my concentration and speed, but without becoming a speed-reader, however, since I believe that books are not supposed to be consumed and then thrown on a pile, but savoured for aesthetic purposes or pensively penetrated until one acquires a deep understanding about their meaning.

I find music, or some sort of background noise, helps. Ideally the background noise should be minimal, and/or the music familiar enough to you that you don’t get lost in it. I find that actually helps eliminate outside distractions.

One thing that helps me to concentrate is booze. Start out slow. Drink sip after sip until brain activity slows down the point that it can only do one thing at a time, then you can focus on reading. It’s how I cleared Locke’s Essay 2 days before I had to write an essay on it.

That’s a fucking brilliant idea.

Booze slows my mind down – I never thought to apply that to reading something – absolutely brilliant!

+1 on the booze.

But then again, I say that about everything . . .

I like to read at a bus stop, or on a bench downtown.
You can but into stranger’s conversations and ask for thier views on what you’re reading.
My college was in the middle of a bunch of hospitals in the center of a city, so the ambulances and police sirens really help too, (as far as giving you some distraction).
I don’t think books should be held in such high regard as to not just consume them and throw them in a pile.
Maybe if you find one that’s particularly impactful in your life then you may put it on a shelf.
I think however, the best idea is to just read as much as you can and fuck the smallest details.
Most books out there are pretty much about the same things anyway.
To me I think it’s all a matter of getting different writer’s perspectives on the same old issues.
It’s not as though someone’s going to say something original.
When I was a teenager, there were a few books I can say that I read and which seemed to shape my perspective in a major way.
After I got older I realized that it’s bad to let a book do that to you.
Just read lots and lots of them, and don’t pay too much attention to the details.

How so?

Because it’s such a small thing to have such a big influence. No matter how much you read, or how hard it is, there’s always bigger shit out there. Basing a part of your beliefs about the world on a piece of literature is really a bad idea.

Point.

But doesn’t that apply to everything?

Take it one chapter at a time. Finish a chapter get up move around let what you have read sink in then go back to the book and read the next chapter. Every time you feel antsy just move around. Don’t sweat how long it takes you to read a book just read in short bursts if that is the best way for you. There are days I have to do that too

Do you have a sedentary job or are you a full time student? Your body and mind might be telling you that you need some exercise. Once you get the antsyness out you might find that you can concentrate better. We really do feel our muscles get nervous when they have not been exercised. Don’t start the drinking thing. That is a well traveled road littered with hasbeens.

I don’t know.

=D>

"5

— But, after all, why must we proclaim so loudly and with such intensity what we are, what we want, and what we do not want? Let us look at this more calmly and wisely; from a higher and more distant point of view. Let us proclaim it, as if among ourselves, in so low a tone that all the world fails to hear it and us! Above all, however, let us say it slowly … This preface comes late, but not too late: what, after all, do five or six years matter? Such a book, and such a problem, are in no hurry; besides, we are friends of the lento, I and my book. It is not for nothing that one has been a philologist, perhaps one is a philologist still, that is to say, a teacher of slow reading:—in the end one also writes slowly. Nowadays it is not only my habit, it is also to my taste—a malicious taste, perhaps?—no longer to write anything which does not reduce to despair every sort of man who is “in a hurry.” For philology is that venerable art which demands of its votaries one thing above all: to go aside, to take time, to become still, to become slow—it is a goldsmith’s art and connoisseurship of the word which has nothing but delicate, cautious work to do and achieves nothing if it does not achieve it lento. But for precisely this reason it is more necessary than ever today, by precisely this means does it entice and enchant us the most, in the midst of an age of “work,” that is to say, of hurry, of indecent and perspiring haste, which wants to “get everything done” at once, including every old or new book:—this art does not so easily get anything done, it teaches to read well, that is to say, to read slowly, deeply, looking cautiously before and aft, with reservations, with doors left open, with delicate eyes and fingers … My patient friends, this book desires for itself only perfect readers and philologists: learn to read me well!" — nietzsche dawn

-Imp