Religion... a pointless label

Christianity is way off…

Philosophy based religions do not need labels…

Our beleifs should be based on what we beleive in…

We should not accept something as true until we have experienced it ourselves and it agrees with our own reason and common sense…

the end…

For example

reincarnation NO ONE alive has experienced this! so why should we believe that we will come back in the after life!
or Jesus, no one has experienced his presence so why should we believe in him!!!

reincarnation can be interupted wrong which it is alot of the time but i see it as something that is not necessary to think about until we master life we cannot master death

presence*

Can someone please do something about the width of avatars?

Not everyone has a 24 inch monitor or multiple screens where we can have several pages open at once. Some people like to be able to see the entire post and have it make sense.

I can just scroll over. I realize that.

Now, since I went on that rant, I feel the need to post something here.

Understanding, I pretty much agree with your original post. I went to Catholic schools for 13 years, and all I got out of it was my firm belief that I am not Catholic, Christian, a Theist or religious at ALL. I especially like your point…

Part of my extreme disdain for religious schooling (and religion in general) is the preaching and conversion tactics. If I want to be Catholic or Muslim or Jehovah’s Witness, I’ll do it of my own accord, thank you very much. Having someone else’s beliefs shoved down my throat every day just made me resist more. I have no problems with other people being religious, just don’t try to convert me.

However, this point I take issue with.

It is possible to believe in something you will never “know” personally. I believe gravity is “holding” me on this earth. I am not a scientist. I know absolutely nothing about physics or how it works. But I understand it is there and I trust I will not go flying into space if I take my foot off the ground.

We all need to adopt others opinion/beliefs as our own. Who wants to do their own research to develop their own opinion? Much too unimportant and time consuming.

Then lead your life ignorantly… instead of simply being lazy and beleiving others…

However, this point I take issue with.

It is possible to believe in something you will never “know” personally. I believe gravity is “holding” me on this earth. I am not a scientist. I know absolutely nothing about physics or how it works. But I understand it is there and I trust I will not go flying into space if I take my foot off the ground.
[/quote]

Is the law of gravity right now effecting things around you ? when you drop a pen does it fall when you jump do you return to the earth’s surface ? i think thats enough to experience it…

you`re ready to Bouddhism.

Who told you that it has to agree with your own reason? Other people. How can you know that everything can be understood by reason? Someone told you.

Who told you that common sense always make sense?

Who gave you those legs to stand with? Your mom?
And who told you to stand?
You probably copied other people,
instead of being unique.

And breathing oxygen? That’s right out!
The last thing that we need is more carbon dioxide.

Reality.

There is a common misunderstanding of just what “reason” is. Reason has nothing to do with faith, nothing to do with superstition. Reason is just that… REASON.

Why does the water spill when I tip over my glass? because god pushes objects down, or the reason of gravity?

Why does the sun go down at night? Because Atlas is holding up the earth while apollo spins the sun? Or the reason is because the earth rotates on it’s axis and around the sun?

Why are people continually drawn to various religions and meditation and prayers? Because it connects to pathways that are wired when you are an infant. We are literally wired to believe. There is an important survival advantage in that though, as it will make you a better caregiver when you have your own children. The disadvantage is that it leaves us seeking for our own caretakers. The problem with that?

If you put one foot into superstitious behaviour you have to put both feet in… one minute you believe in god, the next you believe in a saviour god/prophet who exclusively talks to god, an infallible book, etc.

i disagree. look at deism and quakers. and the religion i made up. only good can come from these things. unless, of course, they are corrupted by idiots or jerks. but thats true of everything.

your religion is a perfect example of the bad that can come from believing in god. Your religion is stretched out hyperbole, without any definite fleshy goodness.

The quakers… They are an eccentric group of agnostics much like the Unitarians. They started out as a christian sect, and slowly became more and more agnostic. Today they hold onto the “holiness” of the holy books, even though most of them don’t believe in the literal truth of any of these books.

Quakers, your religion and Unitarians all lead to Relativism which is a bad thing.

You want to prove otherwise? go ahead. Prove that a good life can be had of ignoring reality and believing in a supernatural entity.

Scy,

This is “reality” for a lot of people…

do you know an ABSOLUTE and IRREFUTABLE conception of “Reality”?

Basically each religion has its own merit and its has its own way of explaining the universe. But the simple truth is that no one religion is right. Because either no religion is right or every religion contains an element of truth. The danger comes when people are locked into their beliefs and will argue, insult, and even kill those who don’t agree with them.

Sounds like the Amish.

…but then, what is a good life?