Religion and Law

Religion is life and Law is death. Religion can seek to master Law by incorporating Law into it. Eventually Law will overcome religion leaving it a dead husk. Then Religion does not get promoted, only Law. Law enters Religion and kills it from within. Then only Law continues, masquerading as Religion. Law inhibits the freedom necessary for genuine Religion. Real morality must have people making decisions, not exclusively following orders. Religion develops from awe and a pure love of life. Law develops from fear and the will to dominate. Religion is boundless. Law is bondage. If your entire sense of right and wrong comes from a Law then you are dead.

please give us a little of your background, as this is your first post. (Welcome, by the way) I’d like to know where you’re coming from with all this. Are you basing this on anthropological study of religion, on your own experiences from A particular religious tradition or from an antinomian kill 'em all anarchic hate for Law?

To a certain extent I agree with you. Law is based in religion, yet I don’t view Law as parasitical on the body of religion, but rather more like coral, ie each new generation builds on the bodies of the last.

EDIT
I would disagree that religion develops from awe AND a pure love of life. I would say religion develops from awe and a pure fear of violence and vengeance.

have you been reading alot of Paul there? Your post made me think of the early Christian disputes over “the Law” (judaism)

And what about the law of god? Does that count for nothing? D’you not think it a law of god that the evil doer is punished for his evil doing with an immediate loss of self respect, (i.e., when he knows he’s probably doing evil,) or blindness when he’s ignorant?

But when he admits to his evil and humbles himself before the world does not the sword of Damocles that was hanging over him vanish into metaphysical thin air?

Isn’t the law of karma after all a law of god?

Hi phryg,

How do you discern the Law of God?

Shalom
Bob

The man of real Religion opens his eye. With his eye open he can see what has been there all along. God, God, God. The man of Religion sees God. Everywhere God. Only God. When he opens his eyes it is not his eye that opens, he is opening the Eye of God inside of him Through human eyes God Witnessess God. But most men are spiritually blind. They see nothing. They never see God. God is right in from them them. They cry out for God, God is already here. Lawyers come and soil their mouths with lawyer-speak. They say they know God but they know nothing. They only know the Law. They are just as blind but they pretend to have sight. They are as wolves amoung sheep. They condem blind men to remain blind. They do not teach others to see God. They are just as blind they have seen nothing. They offer the Law when people want God. Where is there any religion that is not overrun by the Law? The most populous, Christianity and Islam are full of Law and lawyers. The lawyers shout so loud that nobody else can be heard. All other voices get drowned. Noise, noise, NOISE! Innocence is required to see God. The cynic, the skeptic, is the blind man drilling into blindness. Diving down into blindness. They see nothing and when they get a glimmer in their eye they shut them only tighter. They see only darkness and say that there is only darkness to see. They mock those who are beginning to see. The one who is afraid of life is unworthy of life. Fear leads away from God. Courage leads towards God. Here is the danger, to speak about God or how to get to God is to risk becoming another lawyer with a new Law. Woe upon the man who carries the next stone tablet off the mountain.

Bob

Hi!

First, allow me to quote some Epictetus : -

I think Epictetus is clearly of the opinion that whereas the law of men is the law of the dead and the imperfect, the law of god is the law of the imperishable, it it perfect and absolute and never allows the guilty to escape punishment. Thus, whenever a person commits a crime, in the eyes of god, the all seeing, all knowing, that person is immediately retributed.

The evil-doer ‘marks’ himself, (as it were,) at the moment of his actions, even as evil thoughts arise within him and are phantasised about by him he is being punished. When, e.g., a man lusts after a neighbour’s wife he becomes guilty of indecent and unrighteous thoughts and in the very centre of his being he is damaged, (whether he knows it or not, and by no-one but himself, i.e., the god within,) and marked as an adulterer in spirit. There is no escape. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why it is asserted that god is all-seeing, all-knowing and why the pure and innocent are rewarded by god while the impure and guilty are punished.

Vengeance is mine saith the lord!

When I, Peter, do wrong I am fortunate enough most of the time to realise it. I conclude that because I am no different from the overwhelming majority of humankind others know also when they do wrong. I discern these laws of god in operation in myself and the body language etc., that accompanies them. I then go on to discern them through observation and study of the actions and behaviour and speech of others.

But the laws of god can surely be observed at work institutionally as well as individually!

Look at the wars currently raging throughout the world : are these not institutional examples of the folly of men and god’s absolute vengeance at work?

Of course, if one chooses to deny god, (in whatever shape or form,) then one can also conveniently dispense with the idea of any divine ordinance!

But I’ve said enough! Allow me again to quote my master Epictetus, (surely the most beautiful of all known philosophers!)

Courage!

Peter