Response: A regurgitation of society

How much of what we think about things and how we initially respond to things are simply society forcing it’s way through our thoughts? How much of our thought is clouded by what has been taught to us and what surrounds us daily and what others think? It’s pretty uncommon that we get the time or chance to completely think out our opinions because before we do, everything we’ve been taught is already coming to our minds. We have to really try to penetrate this clutter in order to get to the root of our own thought, and how much of the time do we actually take the energy to do this? I would argue that most of the time our opinions are not thought out, but are rather simply regurgitations of everything we have taken in. Everything, of course, is affected by what we have learned, but what I am trying to get at is deeper… that when we think, we don’t typically penetrate what we have learned to the root of our minds where our true opinions are held. And I’m not trying to say that we shouldn’t take what we learn into consideration, because that becomes part of our opinions. But how malleable is our actual opinion?

This is exactly what philosophy does - delves into these rudimentary thought patterns.

It could be the opening paragraph for a book called ‘what is philosophy?’

That’s the predicament. It seems that we are being held within the confines of a society created mind, as if society created us for a singular purpose of maintaining current conditions (status quo). How much of the make up of this condition is real and how much is it an invented reality? If we are to believe that the thoughts we are thinking produce a self that results from an invented reality, then that self would be an invented self or commonly referred to as an illusion of a self being there. Is there any way of getting out of this illusion of a thought induced self to a true self?

Beware of using thought to get out of the confines that it created by itself. You see, thought has been around for so many millennia that it knows every trick in the book to protect and maintain itself. You have to try to make sure that the thought – that there is a way to free yourself from whatever it is you want to free yourself from-- is not a thought that will cast you into another trap. Using thought to be freed from it is still thought. Anything you do to free yourself from the self is the self.

It’s probably better to go along with society’s invented reality and simultaneously realize that there is no way of experiencing true reality by means of anything that thought will produce. There is no reality outside the frame of knowledge you have of it. And that knowledge is always given to you. Apart from the knowledge there is no way to even bring the subject up. There is no need to bring it up. There is no need to know it.

Anyway, for those who take all of what is put into their mind as reality, well … I guess they’ll be looking for some funny thing called happiness and so many other things in that so called reality.

Societies conditioning is especially apparent when it comes to ‘controversial’ subjects like race and gender. I known people who can waffle on happily for hours about completely innocuous topics like free will or does God exist but when it comes to these subjects - you know, ones where they have to go against the status quo to offer any kind of cogent response - suddenly they claim such things no longer matter and fall silent. For me, its a useful barometer as to the quality of the rest of their opinions.

Claiming that “I would argue that most of the time our opinions are not thought out, but are rather simply regurgitations of everything we have taken in.” is fine if in doing so you are not simply regurgitating something you’ve heard someone else say. Ultimately, it is a measurement of how well you know yourself and the quality of that self.

I can see that.

And I would argue that it’s not so much a negative thing, but rather just a thing, that we do regurgitate what we already know. It’s there, it’s part of us, so why not use it. Then again, how much of it is actually just what we’ve heard from others? Who knows… just a thought