Rested?

Genesis 2:2
And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Now, I was driving home last night and this came to mind. I soon was wondering why would an all-knowing, perfect God have to rest? This surely is a human quality. Now Im an agnostic and before any fanatic Christian tries to convert me, I would atleast want my God to have infinite endurance. That too much to ask?

Well, the first Chapter of Genesis is a poem, I wouldn’t take it extremely literally. Still, though, I’ve always thought God resting on the 7th day really just Him sitting back and enjoying his creation for a while. I too, am sure that God has unlimited endurance.

Maybe if he didn’t rest we would all be working seven days a week!

unlike “God” im off Mondays and Thursdays

I’m with Ucissore, that god ‘rested’ doesn’t mean a lack of stamina, he probably just kicked back, had a beer, and looked over his handiwork.

JT

Sandsloth wrote:

I can’t deduce from the above if you’re a strict agnostic or empirical agnostic, therefore, I’ll respond to both. Now, if you’re a strict agnostic, you probably aren’t, then wanting “God to have infinite endurance” would be quite an awkward & even illogical to some extent, question to pose, with respect to strict agnosticism, as God cannot exist period. If, on the other hand, you’re an empirical agnostic, and you probably are,then I, being a “Christian fanatic” will not attempt to convert you (as I will probably run out of endurance), but rather suggest that you expose yourself to different versions of the Bible, read Genesis 2:2 carefully, and you’ll realise that God was actually done with creating the universe on the seventh day, and that’s why he stopped working. His resting had absolutely no direct or indirect relation with him running out of endurance.

Genesis 2:2 (according to GNB)
By the seventh day God finished what he had been doing and stopped working.

Why don’t we read the bible thinking what message it is trying to send us. When we read we should be looking for widsom. Here is an example of an ancient text trying to demonstrate to us, the readers, a very important point; which is to take and appreicate the sabbath. It is attaching great significance to enjoying the fruits of your labor. God, here, is just the model for us to follow. How much more poignant can the scripture get then to set the model for us as god. And all to get accross that there is a time for work and a time for rest. And it sets the ratio 6:1.

Yes but isnt the whole appreciation about the Sabbath the fact that he did indeed rest that day so we in return have to keep it holy? Perhaps you are right, that it is simply an allegory that we should take some time and enjoy life and rest. Although the Sabbath very quickly became the day where you dont rest, but simply go to church and move on with your day. That is if you went to church at all. Could the modern world be able to continue on as needed if everyone ‘rested’ on Sunday? In today’s world I think it is an impossibility.

And also wouldnt a powerful all mighty deity be able to make the universe in an instant? Why did it take 6 days…

I too think that it would be good to look at the allegorical side of the issue. As to the “Sabbath”, which the Bible command’s us to keep holy, it just seem’s to be a useful piece of wisdom. It’s our lot to be pre-occupied with the necessities of getting through the day, but we ought not lose sight of the necessity to occasionally stop and contemplate our good fortune of continuing to exist and to acknowledge and celebrate the mystery that is existence. The what’s, the why’s, and the wherefore’s is just religious dogma that was probably put in place for the convenience of the priests, shamans, …

The cynical side of me want’s to ask, how long can you keep your nose buried in the day-to-day without some kind of break? Actually, given our collective attention span, we probably should have a Sabbath every couple of days. :unamused:

JT

The first problem with the Bible is that it equates creation with a male God (sexless in original Hebrew) but everyone knows that the archetype of creation is femine (except in Taoism, weirdos) Goddess. And She wasn’t working those Six days, (actually it was only four days, but ancient Hebrew for four and six are very similar, so it got screwed up somewhere along the way) she was playing, that’s why everything is so fucked up, because she was just having fun when she created the multiverse. Then on the fifth day, she discovered one of her creations that she previously overlooked, the cannabis plant and that’s what she did on the last day. (This is another reason why the early texts had so many mistakes, Goddess wasn’t thinking straight when she handed them down “from on high”)