Should I chuck in my job?

It’s getting very tiresome having to spend most of my evenings working, and freezing right now, too, so should I use the new year as an opportunity to move on? I have an offer of a part-time job in a different part of the country, but it would mean moving away from home.

Moving across country for a part time job? If it pays well enough and that’s what you want…then do it. I’ve never heard of anybody moving for a part time job that didn’t pay incredibly well.

It pays less well than my current one. But the advantages are that it has more sociable hours, and that it gives me the chance to leave home.

Do what you need to do to be better off. What you want in your life. If you want better hours and to experience something new then go for it. If you want better pay and are comfortable with the old, stay with that. :slight_smile:

Always quit every job, or one day you’ll die working.

The grass is not always greener on the other side Maia. Perhaps more sociable hours but what about the spiritual “support” which you get from your family? You seem to be a close-knit family from what you say.
More hours to socialize but less money? No family available when you might really need them? I really don’t know how independent and self-reliant you are - can be - all things considered but be sure it’s what you want and not just a phase.

My desire is to live completely independently. Having a supportive family, which I do, is a great blessing, but, while not wishing to sound ungrateful, it can also be a little stifling at times. If I move down south I will have no choice but to fend for myself, which will be a good thing. I don’t imagine I will encounter and practical difficulties to that end.

Just be sure you know what you’re doing. But of course, there will be times when you’ll have to “wing it”.You don’t imagine perhaps because you’re not taking the time to imagine. Still, it could be a wonderful journey of self discovery for you and a new way of life. Where down South would you go?
Good luck if you go. The world’s your oyster.

Thank you. It’s in Somerset, which I’m told is very beautiful, working in a New Age shop. I’m still undecided at the moment, as I would also like to go to university at some point, maybe next year, in which case it would be better to stay with my parents and attend one of the local ones.

Some people suggest learning to swim in gradually deeper water rather than jumping into the deepest part of the ocean.

As long as you calculate your budget properly.
Ideally you shouldn’t spend more than 25% of your income on rent, so that you have enough to pay for all of your bills, save some, and have some to spend. A lot of people spend more like 50% on rent, though, specially young people. I think that’s acceptable for a short period of time when you are consolidating a career and whatnot.

So in other words, make sure that you actually can “fend for yourself” on a part time salary.
It will probably be a valuable experience for you. If anything, when I first moved out of my parents’ home, my appreciation for them only grew, by making me realize all of the things that they did for me, and that now I have to do for myself :cry: .

Besides, if it doesn’t work out, you can always go back.

It seems such offers are quite rare. To be given the chance to fulfill two necessities at once (make pay, be free to oneself) is nice.
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

At boarding school we were taught how to look after ourselves so none of that is daunting to me.

The offer comes with an offer of accomodation too, at a low rent. It’s part of a commune.

Just reading what little there is of this thread, it sounds like you’ve already made your decision. As for college =) You can learn everything you want to learn online, and for most people, those degrees are worth toilet paper… though in reality people really respect them. This coming from a person who dropped out of high school and never went to college. Hell… Bill Gates dropped out of college to start Microsoft.

I haven’t made any decision yet.

College can be about the people you meet… but has basically become a dinosaur in terms of education. Those are your choices… friends and family and potential new friends, or the same education online and independence? You’d still have your friends and family… so in my calculations, you have already made the choice. Communes can be fun too.

I’d prefer something that wasn’t just online.

Do it.

You have all the benefits, employment, albeit part time, low rental accommodation within a community.

A first step into the world, but still with some elements of safety.

Until the time arrives when you want to study full time at a university.

Treat it as a trial run.

So, you want it for the social element. That’s a tough call. There’s an old joke about colleges, the professor takes their best student aside and says, “Forget everything I taught you.”