Small Wars Better Than World War

My father-in-law is a military man…
He thinks that there are certain important persons
that want to wage war. So he says better small than big.

I don’t like any war…

i’ll betcha this is getting moved to mundane babble sooner or later.
:banana-dance:

maybe we need small wars so that certain people can get off on it…
there is tremendous profit made on wars…
young guys like the excitement…
old guys can direct wars from the sidelines…

I once picked up a book called ‘Give War a Chance’. The theme was that there are places where the only way out of a life of oppression is through armed rebellion. What about India and Gandhi? A peaceful Gandhi-style protest may well have failed at a different time and place and against a more brutal colonizer.

Better small than big seems to usually mean “Better small, poor country than big, rich country.”

I think there are actually better arguments to say “Better big than small” when we are making defense policy.
For example, the US defense budget could be massively cut if it was decided to keep some big missiles and big aircraft and stuff necessary to fight big enemies, while eliminating a lot of the ground and COunter-INsurgency resources.

That way, if a country actually threatened the US (it would have to be a big, rich country) then we’d have the resources to fight that war, but if there was a small war to be fought, we would hesitate to preemptively jump in. COIN should probably be done by an international body.

Oh sure, young guys like the excitement. I bet they like the post-traumatic stress disorder even better.

the problem with fighting big, rich countries is that they have big bombs to fight back with; hence the reason to invade iraq and not iran

maybe war is built into our economy…in order to stop small wars we would have to make major changes in our society…
i think we will continue to fight small wars and come up with all kinds of reasons…underneath the real reasons will remain obscure…