So there we were...

Heidegger once asked something along the lines of: “what’s so great about being immortal?”

He we sit, the human race, carried away with these dreams and aspirations. Trying to find God, or our own immortality. But imagine this, that we are immortal:

It’s 297 o’clock(because spiritual time is much different) and as you manifest yourself in an organic body in sector >T12(on the eleventh dimension) you ask yourself what there is to do. You could hang out with God in Heaven and experience eternal bliss…but that would get boring, besides, you’re ticked off at God anyway because it wasn’t as great as it was believed to be. You could meet up with a friend, go to a galaxy, and live a life where you two would meet up in the fourth grade and remain friends for seventy years. Then die, and do the whole thing over again. But that would get boring. You could liberate a planet from its wars and establish peace and harmony. The people(or spirits choosing to live those lives) would live those lives, die, and then join you in sector >T12, and thank you for your efforts. You’d sit around(or levitate) there trading stories, how back in 1253866 you helped planet Theralay revitalize itself, and how you lived the life of a ship yard worker once, just to see if you could handle it. But that would get boring.

So what is there to do as a spirit?

Boredom is the root of everything. Neither good or bad, simply static, predictable, nothing to look forward to. What would we do, guys, if when we die…there we are, asking this same question?

“Boredom is the root of all evil. The history of this can be traced from the very beginning of the world. The Gods were bored, so they created man. Adam was bored alone; then Adam and Eve were bored together; then Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel were bored en famille; then the population of the world increased, and the peoples were bored en masse. To divert themselves they concieved the idea of constructing a tower high enough to reach the heavens. This idea is itself as boring as the tower was high and constitutes a terrible proof of how boredom gained the upper hand.”- Kierkegaard

So really we ask God: “is this all you got?” Its cool and all, but I was expecting more. Not trying to build you up or anything, just hoping for somethiong a little different.

I have nothing against God, religion, spirituality, mysticism, or anything of the like. I just want more than it can offer.

I’m picky, what can I say?

I’d rather be bored than dead/nonexistant, wouldn’t you?

bored, knowing, dead…the question is, i suppose, is which one would serve your purpose?

Boredom is only a property of humans. Once you become immortal and fly to Heaven, all that your soul feels is eternal elation. It’s like having intense and constant orgams. So wonderful the feeling, that you wont even have time to talk to the other good-doers or the angels flying around.
In addition, boredom is when you do one thing repeatedly in a time period. Time doesnt exist in heaven, so you have no chance to get bored.

That was a very divergent outlook. I honestly have never thought of it that way.

So, as Stevie Nicks would put it:
Like a strand
in the wind,
in the web that is my own,
I begin again.

Boredom, the mother of all inspiration?

I think if I was having a constant orgasm, I wouldn’t want boredom to exist.
Yes, I know what youre going to say,
if you had a constant orgasm for eternity, you would grow tired of it.
But I sure wouldn’t mind finding out. :laughing:

If you are really bored, might i suggest a game of Sink?

principiadiscordia.com/book/73.php

Or maby Lebanon, if that is more your suit.

In fact, I think to find this out IS the purpose of human existence… here is the ultimate meaning of life ! :laughing: :sunglasses:

I hate to disappoint you but I have never heard of either, why are those your favorite games?

That’s why i put the link, it explains the rules of Sink. (HEY! that rymes.)
I’m a poet and i didn’t even realize it.
I can make a rhyme at every attempt.

Boredom

I think D.H.Lawrence says something somewhere about ennui being the curse of those who have all material creature comforts provided.

The, ‘middle classes,’ i.e., the bourgeoisie, don’t have to worry about where their next meal is coming from or where they are to lay their heads for the night.

Do those poor devils who are in need, the poverty-stricken, those with empty bellies, those with no roof over their heads, and similar, do they suffer from boredom? I think not!

I’d say boredom was a disease that afflicted the materially secure.

You’re talking about Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
Bordom i’m not sure whether bordom would qualify as a need to know, an aesthetic need, or a need for self-actualization.
But surely these needs are just as important as a need for food, security and love and can not merely be ignored.

Indeed boredom is something that afflicts the materially secure, but that does not meen a person should be disparaged because they have these needs.

But if nothing is quenching your boredom, then perhaps it is time you take another step up the ladder and seek to fulfill your full potential.

Are you fucking kidding me? I’d commit suicide if forced to live in eternal boredom. If I couldn’t even do that it would be worse than hell. This isn’t to say that I couldn’t entertain myself for a few thousand years, hell maybe I could even come up with diversions for a million years or so but eventually I’d run out of things to do.

Wow, sounds like nothing of me would survive to go to this magical lala land of yours. If I wanted that kind of hollow and pointless bliss I’d be a mindless heroine addict here on Earth.

— Everytime a religious person tries to describe heaven they usually come up with a horrible sounding place that seems worse than their description of hell. —

Thanks to the powers-that-be for keeping a back-up… but I will re-reply:

Michael of Sol … boredom is impermanent (if that is not your subjective experience, that doesn’t really effect my answer because I am not answering for you – from my own experience I know boredom doesn’t last forever) … death is permanent … and I have no reason to believe there is ‘life’ after the ‘ceasing of experience’ – so I am not speaking of eternal boredom. No, I am not kidding. I would rather experience a little temporary boredom than end my experience altogether.

how would you get bored of bliss? Once your bored it’s no longer bliss.

And just for the record i don’t believe Bliss exists

Maybe life after death means a life of limitless possiblities. No boredom because there is a life beyond a conceivable. The extremes we can think of in this life are just the starting points in the life after. Who knows. We frown upon the unlikely because we mentally are limited in thinking in terms of the possible. Even when its impossible, because we think something, it becomes the possible, but Life after could go beyond the thought of the impossible.

Once someone thinks of something, does it become possible?
Where are the ideas that haven’t taken form in thought?

For example, had no one thought of electricity, we couldn’t go beyond the confines of life without electicity. Think how many possiblities have been made possible by electicity. The life after could be an eternity of things of the inconceivable impossible.