So we're radically free. Now what?

I have a question about Sartre’s philosophy. If, as I understand Sartre, we’re “radically free” to make our way in a meaningless universe, then how are we to decide which way to make? In other words: If the universe lacks justifications, how are we to justify to ourselves any decision about how to lead our lives?

might makes right

-Imp

“Blessed are the strong, for they shall possess the earth - Cursed are the weak, for they
shall inherit the yoke. Blessed are the powerful for they shall be reverenced among
men - Cursed are the feeble for they shall be blotted out.”
[Ragnar Redbeard, “Might is Right”.]

I don’t know how that answers my question. Could you elaborate?

Man will be free when he finds the path of truth; nature’s truth or justice is the path of equality. With this wisdom or truth, all things becomes one.

How to lead your life is as simple as equal or one or true or just or nature or free!

MJA

That’s not clear at all. Could you elaborate as well?

I think Imp means that, at any point in life, you should do that which gives you greater power. Always choose for an increase in power, no matter what contemporary morality says (though, of course, imprisonment and the like are decreases of power). Power is the only standard left in a nihilist world - be it only good because it feels good.

you asked how are we to justify?

might makes right.

there is no path, no universal right, no hidden hedonic calculus of pain -particularly with non human “hedonists”…

sartre of course thinks humanity should be slaves to a communist dictator aka stalin… sartre was full of shit on that one.

in the end, justification always comes from the end of a gun.

the more free one is, the more responsible for oneself one is.

one lives and dies according to ones freedom -regardless of external actions - and one can not choose not to live such (even after becoming a member of slave colony 17)

-Imp

I understand power to mean the ability to command resources. Why should we seek power over anything else? That answer seems arbitrary.

What is the essence of justification?

A sophisticated desire?

so that you do not become enslaved by it… but that seems arbitrary as well… so be it… it was determined

-Imp

Don’t get it twisted.

The point is that: we’re radically free to decide our duty.

That means we’re free to justify it how we want. If we’re asking someone to justify our action (which is the same as our existence) for us, we’re asking them to do something impossible, which is to make a request in bad faith. If we want someone else to “tell us what to do with our radical freedom,” we’re either asking for advice we don’t plan to follow, or for fascism.

I can’t tell you what to do with your freedom. This is what Sartre says to a student who comes to him torn about whether his allegiance to his mother (who’s sick) or to his homeland (which is under siege and he’s in the army) should take precedence. Sartre doesn’t tell him what to do, he tells the student to decide, which in a way is telling him which takes priority… whichever he decides!