So, what books are you reading right now?

Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein

I’ve seen one or two versions of the movie but in reading Richard Holmes’ Age of Wonder I came across some passages/discussion about Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. They whet my appetite to read the book - as books do refer us to other books - which can be part of the beauty of them~~ they introduce us to others. As is often the case when a book is made into a movie, some things are lost, some treasure, some depth, some great literal beauty and meaning, facts, twists and passages are excluded which would greatly enhance and enrich reflection/thought understanding and give justice to the book. And books so bring out the imagination in us in a way in which movies cannot. After I’ve read it, I will at some point watch Kenneth Branagh’s "Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.

The way I look at it, given a voice…perhaps he is not all that different than we who are supposedly human…

“Hateful day when I received life!’ I exclaimed in agony. ‘Accursed creator! Why did you form a monster so hideous that even you turned from me in disgust? God, in pity, made man beautiful and alluring, after his own image; but my form is a filthy type of yours, more horrid even from the very resemlance. Satan had his companions, fellow-devils, to admire and encourage him; but I am solitary and abhorred.’ - Frankenstein”

You are in the wrong," replied the fiend; "and, instead of threatening, I am content to reason with you. I am malicious because I am miserable; am I not shunned and hated by all mankind? You, my creator, would tear me to pieces and triumph; remember that, and tell me why I should pity man more than he pities me? Would you not call it murder if you could Precipitate me into one of those ice-rifts, and destroy my frame, the work of your own hands. Shall I respect man, when he contemns me? Let him live with me in the interchange of kindness, and instead of injury, I would bestow every benefit upon him with tears of gratitude at his acceptance. But that cannot be; the human senses are insurmountable barriers to our union. Yet mine shall not be the submission of abject slavery. I will revenge my injuries: if I cannot inspire love, I will cause fear; and chiefly towards you my arch-enemy, because my creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred. Have a care: I will work at your destruction, nor finish until I desolate your heart , so that you curse the hour of your birth.”

Duality

I read Aurelius’ Meditations a few years ago and I loved the book though I do remember that there were a few reflections of his which i couldn’t go along with. I did become a bit more stoic through reading his meditations though - the book was helpful. :laughing: If philosophy is only meant to accrue knowledge and to end there, where’s its practical application? It’s like a library full of books which no one ever enters to read. I also kind of intuited/sensed a strong connection between his stoicism and amor fati ~ though I think that stoicim can be/may be, a bit more laid back or involving less of a struggle than is amor fati.
I’m not sure if one needs to learn the practice of stoicism before being able to flow through amor fati or perhaps one needs to learn to live from a point of amor fati before becoming stoic.

I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

A difficult way to live in its entirely I think - perhaps Nietzsche was more than a bit of a masochist - some things which are subjectively important might become lost to us. At the same time, it does give one a way to reflect on what is more meaningful - in the real sense - and what is far more meaningless at second glance and must be let go of/detached from. Also, I feel that I’ve come to learn that perhaps more amor fati may be gained/learned in hindsight or in reflecting on what has occurred and eventually seeing it for a blessing as opposed to a curse. If that made sense. I believe it to be a question of balance - of not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, as it were.

None.

:laughing: Morning, Magsjy, or where you are ~~ good afternoon. So, have you read anything since reading that hyperlink on philosophical definitions? Incidententally, every now and then I think of that and consider reading it.

I don’t think they are necessarily interconnected in any way, other than comprising parts that both share - such as a certain degree and type of resignation and detachment. For example you can be stoic and not necessarily love your fate, or love your fate and not necessarily be stoic (ignorance, pride).

Yes, although it doesn’t necessarily make it any less of a bitter pill to swallow. You can often come to see in hindsight why certain things happen the way they do, but the tactics employed often seem so heinous and insidious that its really still excruciatingly mindboggling at the end of the day. Some things perhaps we will always struggle with and remain incomprehensible to us.

I’m listening to the lectures on the audiobooks

The Great Courses ~

Great Ideas of Philosophy, 2nd Edition
Parts I through 5
~ Professor Daniel N. Robinson

amazon.com/Great-Ideas-Philo … B000ARBLP6

I downloaded a paper on Habermas: trying to make sense of where post modern philosophy is going.

Im Reading Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein and Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris

…which spawned one of my favourite films… along with other cult sci-fi.

Rupert Sheldrake, The Sense of Being Stared At

Crown, 2003

Dazai, Ningen Shikkaku. Absolutely riveting.

I’ve just begun to read Dante’s Divine Comedy.
Beautiful illustrations in it too by Gustave Dore’ - translation by Henry W. Longfellow.
This one…
9781848588783.jpg

Yoooo, that’s the copy I’ve got!

Yep, the illustrations are awesome, but it’s a bit too big to read in bed I find…

Had it for years, but still haven’t read beyond Inferno. I hear that’s the best part anyway. Love’s me some hellish comeuppance and demonic ghouls. Although, all the political references get a bit tedious.

At the mo, I’m half-way through The Karamazov Brothers (getting too much though, I’ve got a modern day attention span. Sorry, D) and I’ve just begun Heart of Darkness.

Romancing the Shadow, by Connie Zweig.

Umberto ecco foucalts pendulum

Christian slater- in pursuit of loneliness

Listening to “Man and His Symbols”, by Jung.

youtube.com/watch?v=wAOs0UVb … O7dwaJUt2C

Deleuze’s Difference and Repitition ← not easy!

Kafka, The Trial.

World Without End
by Ken Follett