Some axioms and quotes

Here are some words of thought by various personae.

[b]We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. - Albert Einstein

“I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.”- Socrates

“To write well, express yourself like common people, but think like a wise man. Or, think as wise men do, but speak as the common people.”- Aristotle

“When the mind is thinking, it is talking to itself.” - Plato

“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” - Albert Schweitzer

“Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects.” - Will Rogers

“I think, therefore I am, I think”- George Carlin

“The test and the use of man’s education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind.” - Jacques Martin Barzun

“When the horse dies, dismount. So it is with thinking, when your thinking doesn’t work anymore let it die and bury it.” - Unknown

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us, and the world will live as one.” - John Lennon

“The more you learn about yourself and the experiences surrounding your life the more opportunities you have to make your life better and more fulfilling.” - Amy Candy

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. - Galileo Galilei

“He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.” - Richard Henry Dann

Seek, and you will find; Knock, and it will be opened to you.- Jesus

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.- Benjamin
Franklin

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. - Confucius

“One’s first step in wisdom is to question everything and one’s last is to come to terms with everything.” - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

“Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that has the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.”- Dale Carnegie

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” - Buddha[/b]

If I was shopping for a signature, this would be a great store!

Yes, I figured there was jewels of wisdom for the demographic of this forum. :slight_smile:

Here’s one of my favorites:

“I think therefore I am”? I have a better way - kill yourself, and then explain the difference. (From “Putting Descartes Before the Horse” - Ernst Werklempter)

Perhaps if I had a better education of philosophers, I would understand the significance of that line. :-k

I will admit that this quote is taken out of context. It’s in the section “Pragmaterialism”, if that helps.

Socrates’ famous quote about his own ignorance is in relation to divine wisdom…that is to say knowledge of the essences of things like beauty, justice, virtue, etc. Socrates is a moral philosopher, and as such his quote is limited to the moral realm.

One would think morality is the basic value concerning his philosophies. I would go a step further and say common sense is an adjunct to his moral standards.