Sporty types

Anyone into team sports? These are some I used to play at school.

Goalball: This was my favourite and the one I genuinely miss since leaving school, but time constraints and lack of suitable clubs to join have prevented me from pursuing it. It’s a game specially invented for blind people but sighted people can play it too, with their eyes covered up. It’s also a paralympic sport, and the British women’s team did really well in London.

goalballuk.com/

Squatball: This involves squating in time and throwing balls to team mates in two lines facing each other, with their numbers called out at random so you have to memorise where everyone is.

Blind versions of field hockey, football etc. These have greatly simplified rules, and, like the above, use an oversized ball with bells or a buzzer in it. By football, of course, I mean soccer, to those Americans who think football is a type of rugby for wusses, which, needless to say, we didn’t play.

Maia,

I just read the Rules to GoalBall, and my God, does that seem like it would be an awesome game!

It seems like auditory ability is very important in that game to such an extent that people who are not blind (and therefore do not rely on their hearing as much) could be at a significant disadvantage in that game, but it still seems like it would be fun to play, and you could always equalize the teams by making sure that there are either one or two people with vision on each team.

In any event, I played competitive sports in High School. I played American Football, Baseball, and I wrestled for one year. Outside of school, I played a good deal of American Football still, tons of street hockey, a little bit of Ice Hockey and some basketball. Despite my height, I was never really a good enough basketball player to make the High School team, interestingly enough, the college team for whom I played sucked so badly that I did make that team!

I’ve also played tennis and golf outside of school. I’m excellent at tennis, except my serve is wild and still not particularly powerful, which is odd, because I am a physically strong person. I’m decent at golf, it really just depends on how much I have played in any given year. I have also bowled and did so in college. That is, bowling in terms of ten pins, not being a bowler in the sport of cricket, though I would love to play cricket.

Finally, I was also good at pool (billiards, not swimming, I can hardly swim) and darts, though I don’t really consider either of those sports, pub sports, perhaps.

I did love football as a kid, and rugby, and hockey, and badminton doubles which for an incorrigible nerd is unusual. I find team sports a great way to express to people how you feel about them in a no threatening way, and without the baggage of face to face communication, without ergo getting kicked in the nads for being honest about your competitive side.

I’ve played soccer all my life. Played for the high school team way back when and after a long hiatus I’m now playing in a co-ed recreational indoor league. We actually just had a game last night, we won 6-2.
I love playing the game and you can tell who has “soccer brains” (as my Swedish friend once said) when you play with them: how they set up when a teammate has the ball, the quality of their passes and their lines of sight when passing, their confidence in pressuring the ball and moving up the field when they themselves have the ball, and the way they help out and coordinate on defense. When you get a few people together who know how to play, it’s pure magic.

I am also a little bit of a runner. I ran XC and track in high school and was a Maryland State Champion in the 4x800 meter relay. I just started running again, too, mostly to get in better shape for soccer.

There’s one sport I would have liked to play and never did, and that’s ice hockey. I love the way you move in hockey and the physicality of it. I played men’s field hockey when I studied in Australia and that game is a beast, too. Constantly crouching low to the ground with your knees bent. A lot of cool dribbling, scooping, and cutting techniques. Not as man-to-man physical as ice hockey it seems, but you can still take a hell of a beating - especially if you get whacked in the leg with one of those solid wooden field hockey sticks!

We did something similar to what you suggested at school, since it was a school for both blind and visually impaired, so some people there had some sight and we would have to distribute them round the teams as evenly as possible to make it fair. It’s definitely an awesome game though and I just wish they had a suitable club round here. Maybe with the cash boost following the paralympics they might set one up.

Yes, field hockey could definitely get very violent, lol. Loved it. Those sticks are lethal.

We also did running and swimming, which I enjoyed. Fortunately I still get to do a lot of running around in my job.

I played rugby and football a lot at school, also played basketball and volleyball a bit. All the other sports - cricket, running, whatever, I only played in PE lessons. Running in particular seemed to me to be a waste of my time, why run around in a loop when you can charge into people and get covered in mud chasing a ball?

I don’t believe in playing competitive sports myself, because I don’t think people should just compete with each other for the sake of it. Well…I don’t think I should. It’s ok if other people do I guess.

That being said, tomorrow there is a real football game between Notre Dame and Alabama. I don’t think they are wusses. I think you Europeans really do fail to recognize the complexity of American culture. I guess its easier to just dismiss it as silly than to face that which overcame you such a short time ago. Remember when we freed ourselves from you then freed all of you from the Nazis? You’re welcome. Now learn the difference between football and soccer. Rugby is just idiots fighting over a ball, or something like that. Football is a game of skill, strategy and athleticism. Not like those kids games you guys play, inappropriately, into adulthood.

Talking of kids games, how come the American national sport, baseball, is derived from the English schoolgirl’s game, rounders?

The main difference, as I understand it, and give or take a few rules, between American football and rugby is that the American players wear massive suits of armour to protect them, unlike rugby players. As I said, wusses, lol.

Well, Americans are typically much stronger than Europeans because we have better genetics and nutrition. So we can actually hurt each other pretty badly. I think you should know that the new uniforms weigh about 10-15lbs so I dunno if it qualifies as real armor anyway.

No one in America watches baseball except a few weird groups of people. Most of them live far away from anything else to do. You’re correct that baseball is not a respectable sport. But rugby isn’t either. Its the dumb man’s football. Soccer is for kids.

Better nutrition? Is that why the USA is collectively about 15 million tons overweight?

Way to skew something by using the biggest number possible. What is this a coupon??

Better nutrition just means we have better access to food than anywhere else in the world. So if I need to load up on protein and carbs and go play a football game, it’ll be easier here than it would there because relatively speaking, in your country food is scarce.

Is this guy a wussy? The other day a referee made a bad call and angered this young man, he retaliated by not letting that call change the game. Check it out. This kid is probably 19-20 years old.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENuZHnQlqX0[/youtube]

And yet, far more live in poverty in America than here, even factoring in population size. Weird that.

But we seem to have gone off at a tangent. The fact is that all American sports are copied from English ones, baseball from rounders, and American football from rugby, for example. Any rule changes they introduced were just to make them easier.

I can’t see that.

Yeah but poverty here is still a pretty good life compared to the rest of the world. Hardly anyone in the US is actually suffering, we just have to make the rest of the world believe that so they don’t get even more mad at us.

American football is a superior sport to whatever they play in other countries. I think that’s the philosophical truth to take away from all this.

I can’t see that.
[/quote]
Shit! Well, this guy basically runs through 4 or 5 guys who are about 300lbs each, (I dunno how many metric tons that is). Then he hits another guy in the face, knocks him into the air and then lands on top of him, knocking the dude’s helmet about 15 feet away, (I dunno how many kilometers that is). Then he just grabs the ball and that’s that. Basically, one horrible, mean, steroid monkey…out of pure fury made what will probably be the meanest hit of 2013 and he did it within the first few days of the year. That means that all year long people are going to be trying to get away with shit like that, which means it’ll be even that much more interesting than soccer, (which in America is a game for children). How could soccer be easier? I think people who don’t understand football have a tendency to oversimplify it in attempts to compare it to European “sports”.

Shit! Well, this guy basically runs through 4 or 5 guys who are about 300lbs each, (I dunno how many metric tons that is). Then he hits another guy in the face, knocks him into the air and then lands on top of him, knocking the dude’s helmet about 15 feet away, (I dunno how many kilometers that is). Then he just grabs the ball and that’s that. Basically, one horrible, mean, steroid monkey…out of pure fury made what will probably be the meanest hit of 2013 and he did it within the first few days of the year. That means that all year long people are going to be trying to get away with shit like that, which means it’ll be even that much more interesting than soccer, (which in America is a game for children). How could soccer be easier? I think people who don’t understand football have a tendency to oversimplify it in attempts to compare it to European “sports”.
[/quote]
Sounds a bit thuggish and moronic to be honest. At least in hockey, when we are hitting our opponents legs as hard as we can, we have the chance to combine it with some incredibly witty and biting put down.

Yeah, but you have to understand what’s going on with the ball and what the goals are for each team in each play. Then it goes from primarily thuggish-seeming to what clearly is the thinking-est man’s sport, and you can see that the thugishness is just a result of the fact that they need the biggest meanest guys possible to accomplish those goals and those kinds of guys just happen to be really nasty and mean a lot of times.

Even British footballers are not noted for their intelligence, so I hate to think what yours are like…

Here’s an example of the brilliance you might find. I love this guy. He can tackle 3 300lb dudes at one time. He is a monster. A freak of nature.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Koko25m9k[/youtube]