Squared Circle

The vertical center lines are exactly 1 radius apart, because the circle has a diameter of 2. The intersections of those line with the center horizontal line is 1/2 a unit from the center of the circle, and a 1/2 unit to the edge of the circle on both sides. The grid squares are exactly 1 unit x 1 unit, except for the outer left and right, which are exactly 1/2 unit x 1 unit.

I asked you how you placed the vertical center lines for the upper and lower circles - you said that you just kept adjusting. If that is not right - exactly what determined those vertical center lines?

Then my calculations should be right.

No, using your method the circle has a diameter of 4" (radius of 2) and the square’s sides are 4".

4 x 4 =16 square inches of area for the square
3.14159 x 4 ( which is pi(r^2) ) = 12.56636 square inches of area for the circle

And that means that your areas are off by (3-\pi) = 0.14159265

Now you’re talking about radius!

It’s incidental to the problem. Obviously a square NEVER has the perfect radius of a circle.

Ecmandu is confusing the area with the circumference - the areas have to be the same.

I never said anything of the sort. Provide the quote! :slight_smile:

The left vertical line is a vertical straight line along the 2 vertical circle left sides. The right vertical line is a line along the right sides of the left 2 vertical circles.

See how those vertical lines run perfectly along the edges of those 4 circles?

It’s not an area problem, it’s a radius problem.

The areas have to be the same.

That sounded like guessing until you got what looked right. Later I figured out that the grid squares were 1 unit square and that allows for calculation.

They are the same.

The problem is a pun…

You’re literally “cutting corners”

So in ideal forms… they are exactly the same.

When you work with physical reality, when you take a string and bend it into 4 parts, it angles and scrunches upon itself to make the square - which causes less surface area for measuring. Thus, the discrepancy.

In ideal forms, this physical problem doesn’t occur.

That’s circumference… that also impacts area calculations.

For the circles area, we are talking about how much 2 dimensional space is in the circle. If the circle is filled with blue, it’s how much blue is in the circle. That is area. It is calculated by pi x (r x r).

So if your circle has a radius (distance from center to edge) of 2, then your circle has an area of 3.14159 x (2 x 2) = 12.56636 Square inches of area. That’s how much blue your circle will have.

Right, those grid squares are 1 x 1, and the grid is 4x4. The outer being 1/2.

So how much area is a blue piece and how much is red piece, according to your calculations?

And there’s your problem.

I’m talking about 1 dimensional space.

In that, they have the same exact area.

Whenever you have to bend a line, the area will be different.

1 dimensional space is distance
2 dimensional space is area
3 dimensional space is volume

examples:

1 dimension - the length of a stick
2 dimensions - the space inside a circle
3 dimensions - the space inside a beer keg! :slight_smile:

Can we at least agree on the problem?

When you have to bend a line (to make a square) you lose circumference right there?

Can we agree on that?

That’s a physical problem.

I calculated that a red piece would be - 0.05518971

So to get a blue piece -

Just subtract that from the circle’s area - (\pi) to get all 4 blue areas.

One blue area = (\frac{\pi-4∗(0.5∗sin(60^o)+\frac{\pi}{12})}{4})
~0.090586074

So the difference of blue-red ~ 090586074 - 0.05518971 = 0.035398163

A square has 4 equal sides. If you start with a 1" diameter rope, and try to bend it around to make a square, that’s a practical issue. We are talking theory, that is useful for talking of things without having to deal with mechanical issues.

It’s so we can talk about things as if it was a perfect world, which we know it isn’t. But it is very very very useful when applied to the real world.

So “close enough” is your call? Or would you call it “damn close?” :slight_smile: