Study in the proper sense

Hey!

Asking what is proper way of thinking and why do, it is somehow obscure question (giving firm answers to such questions raise some suspicion). Rather than that i would like to pose a different but also relevant, somehow “formal/methodical” question to those of you who are devoted to thinking and study of thought; making this sort of dichotomy is of course misleading but may form certain proto-concept regading systematicity of procedure. try to be forbearing towars such “reduction”; my sole intention is making some schematic search… anymay:

how much time do you devote to your study? (per day)
how much do you read and what are your reading procedures?
do you make notes, “fiches”?
how do you deploy repetition? (in sense of rereading, memorizing and understanding)
are you studying at university?
how old are you; how many years have you devoted to this study?
did you intentionaly learn foreign languages; and which?

you can of course formulate your answers in another, more appropriate way, which you consider to be essential.

although I’m fairly young (22) I could give my account regarding some questions posed above. I’ve been reading texts for about 2-3 years now, before it was of course some sort of interpelation which inclined me of doing all this, i spend about 5 hours a day on reading and the sort, i have no real method or system of study, sole principle might be “presence of mind”. i can read english fairly well and I’m also studying french (if all goes well i’m taking some german next year). I’m studying philosophy but regading level of lectures and ther overall obscurity, i pass most of them. i find establishing some systematical base to be important at this stage (and that is why i’m bothering you with this). My main philosphical sources are Hegel and teachings of Lacan elaborated by local schools (Zizek).

sorry for bad english; I hope you would share your experiences and thoughts on the subject.

2-8 hours

I read between 2 and 4 hours per day. I read (books) in bed in the morning before getting up, if I have nothing to get up for straightaway. I read the news as soon as I turn on the computer and check a few threads here for new posts. I never, ever, read newspapers.

Yes, sometimes. Often in the form of threads here.

No, memory is for the weak!

Yes, sadly.

n/a

7 so far, though technically I’ve studied all my life

No

Lil’ French, lil’ Spanish

Hi, tro. I have studied philosophy for thirty years. I did well in school, acing all but a couple of philo courses. I never took notes. I don’t know why anyone should ever take notes in a philo calss. Unless the exams are stupidly conceived. I do not take notes now.

I think the study of philosophy should include a lot of history. Religion, even if you are an atheist. The Bible, surely. Science.

I don’t read as much as I used to, because I am not interested in the details any longer. At 47, I have the basics of my own view down pretty well. I find that this board forces me to read some, even if it’s a re-read. I read more history than philosophy, now. I never try to memorize anything. I smoke way too much dope to make that practical. And I’m old. Most philosophers can be summarized in a few paragraphs. Either you agree with their basic assumptions or you don’t. But it’s important to know the biggies, and in detail. And anyone you find interesting.

Hegel is a great way to start. He was a genius, he wrote fairly widely, and his style is clear and pleasing. Russell is good, too. He took great pains to be clear, and that cannot be said about many writers. Have you read Russell’s history of philo? Good point of departure, I think. While his thought is all over it, it makes a good organizing tool. Wish I could find my copy.

Philosophy is a method, and a way of life. In the end, it is all about eliminating the bad ideas - the ones that don’t work. The source material for ideas is, well, just about anything. It’s what you do with them that makes you a philosopher. But I think 5 hours a day should stand you in good stead. I spend 24 hours a day thinking about this stuff. Bt only a couple with text, if that. But, again, everything is text.

Faust

Personally, I read about 3 hours a day everyday (in philosophy of theology and in biblical theology). I listen to AT LEAST 1.5 hours worth of lectures a day on it everyday (including weekends).

I study by reading footnotes and commentaries as well as the actual texts being studied. Secondary sources are good. Primary sources are better. I even read tertiary sources, if I have nothing else to read.

I practice the theology I learn (please I’m not trying to debate with anyone here I’m just stating that I try what I learn). I pray to the Father through Yeshua by the power of the Holy Spirit. The Lord has changed me to be pure, whereas I couldn’t do it on my own a while ago, Praise God! Even though He is still helping me to not get angry easily still.

Basically, I get whatever I can get from credible sources. Not just from anybody who calls themself preacher or pastor or professor. I mostly listen to Doctors on the subjects so that I know that they have taken the time to study things themselves, and I try to find out where they recieved there credentials as there are meny who have incredible credentials.

I let the Holy Spirit teach me and try to remain teachable to Him and to other people He would send my way to show me something (even if that person doesn’t even believe in Messiah). I learn a lot from people who are and are not Christians, but I make sure they are credible by looking into why they say what they say. I never just take anyones word for it, because in such a broad feild like theology one can recieve a lot of contradicting ideas. Same would go for Philosophy.

I understand most people in this forum aren’t Christians, so if you don’t understand how to hear the Holy Spirit then just take the rest of my advice and read read read, listen listen listen, take notes in journals, practice (lol unless you are going through to med school, then you should wait to be licensed), and MAKE SURE YOUR SOURCES ARE CREDIBLE when applicable! I am 23 going on 24 and have only been studying theology seriously for about 4 years now. So I still have a lot to learn about the subject and about learning. But these pieces of advice I know, even though some might sound a little mystical to you.

Hi Tro, Good luck in getting a system going for yourself. I agree it can help alot. I’m not very good at systems though. My one tip is, if you have lectures or ‘lessons’, ask to record audio from them. I have found this invaluable. Languages can give you a great insight but only if you are 100% fluent in them. Otherwise its just a bit of fun. Having ancient greek or latin is a real bonus to any study of anything that involves alot of technical vocab.

well, thank you for all this feedback; I also posted this elsewhere but none replied… go figure.

as for audio lectures; you probably know the teaching company material; I spend some time listening these courses and i find them appropriate
for basic study. and some lecturers also have some gift in lecturing… still one must repeat and note down is one wants to get something out of it. (haven’t done that yet :slight_smile:)