Surprise from dear ol' Mom

I was just outside smoking the afternoon away when all the sudden this monstrosity of brownness plowed up the dusty driveway and a smiling man inside delivered into my hands a cardboard box with “Amazon” written on it… I knew… I knew it was from Mom. NObody else sends me stuff. And what was inside? Three things… can you guess?

“‘The world is my idea’: this is a truth which holds good for everything that lives and knows, though only man can bring it into reflected, abstract consciousness.”

“When Zarathustra was thirty years old he left his home and the lake of his home and went into the mountains.”

“The will to truth which will still tempt us to many a venture, that famous truthfulness of which all philosophers so far have spoken with respect–what questions has this will to truth not laid before us!”

Oh, Mom – if you knew what early birthday present you just sent me, you would take it back! :laughing:

What a wonderful surprise! :smiley: I am so filled with glee! Giddy and dancing!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

she did you get a divorce ?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: is right, km2_33!

Asker of weird question:… no, I didn’t. We’ll be old and grey together… whyever do you ask such a question? My husband doesn’t have to ‘send’ me stuff, if that’s what you’re asking – he just hands it to me. Does my happiness remind you of a divorce you once had or something?

yup, the latter.

I hate how sometimes I don’t get jokes immediately. Oh well. It was funny after I got it, but I sort of ruined it already.

I am enjoying Zarathustra. I really like how Nietzsche uses the tightrope walker over the marketplace between two towers, to talk about how man is a rope over an abyss between beast and overman. Very interesting writing style.

I also like his idea of needing companions who are alive (the creators…) and who do not hold him back, who do not lag behind, although at first I thought of the ‘jester’ as an arse.

I’ve read up to “reading and writing”, but I always keep going back to review what I’ve read before. I am going to start a fresh journal for this.

Don’t worry, I’m not turning into one of those people who will endlessly quote Nietzsche or whatever. I am however really, really enjoying this.

I thought the tightrope walker was a metaphor for political appointments…Oh, yeah, that was Gulliver’s Travels. :slight_smile:

I’m not very well-read, mrn… but I did see the recent movie… is the book as funny as the movie (or funnier than?)?

gulliver was pretty close to an act of treason when it came out, the farenheit of it’s day (except unfortunately they both reflect the relative distribution of intelligence in their day, putting the present day one in a rough spot)