Sustainability, le terme du jour..

Having the odd extra meal or two throughout the month, might though… the extra calories, taking you briefly out of a slump.

Best to eat according to expectant daily activity, and not to a daily rigid set schedule.

Pretty-much, yea… a case of dietary complacency, breeding metabolic contempt. :-s lol

Humans are hopeless at judging when they have reached to last adequate mouthful.
Gary Taubes in his books “Why we get Fat” and “The Case for Keto”, calculates that over a life time a morbidly obese person has only consumed one teaspoon of sugar more than ne ought to have done to achieve his fatness.
In other words the gluttony and sloth he has been accused of his whole life is due to his staggering overeating by one more bite everyday.
So we have to rely on the body telling us when we have had enough, which it can do very well - just look at the animal kingdom none of whose members are overweight.

It’s all got to do with sugar.
Sugar is the only food type that the body deliberately tries to eat more and more of by supressing satiation and instructing the body to go into storage mode.
Table sugar it half glucose and half fructose.
Glucose is important - but so important that the body can make its own from fat. So we do not need to eat it.
Fructose is not directly usable as food. The body immediately uses fructose to effect Leptin to single hunger, regardless of diet, and immediately stores fructose as fat, in the liver.

Sugar is rare in nature found mostly in the autumn - evolution has figured out a way to best use this. It tells our body to eat, eat, eat, and lay down fat for the winter. To do this most effectively in switches off satiation and fat burning and begins fat storage.
And in a nutshell you have the modern day fat epidemic that is raging across the western world.

I find that eating only when hungry… like what animals do, takes care of the process of staying lean/mean/keen, without having to even think about it/think about it ever again. Such a weight off the mind.

I do think that weight-management has become more difficult, due to the current metabolism-suppressing environment that we have found ourselves in.

Avoid toxins and processed goods and you can’t go wrong… making the odd treat a healthy one, will also ensure staying on the path of ketosis. Before long, all cravings and constant hunger-pangs start to subside, and we then eat to live not live to eat. Case in point… as winter drew in, I had no choice but to go from one to two meals a day, or die… I chose life. :slight_smile:

I find myself always thinking of my next meal… even though I’m not hungry one bit, and when that next meal is due it is very-much appreciated and enjoyed, and I’ve stopped craving Rowntrees sweets, chocolate, Kettle Chips/Tyrell’s/cheese Quavers/pickled-onion Monster Munch :laughing: (my weaknesses) for good. I don’t even think about them any more… only about my two meals a day, some fruit here and there, and Bio wine.

Lucky you.
But many of us are fatties by nature.

What is bio wine?

Bio-diverse, so made with minimal-to-no intervention.

It tastes very different to mainstream wine, but after a while the zero-chemical natural notes become more preferable, and so appreciated.

There is nothing diverse about wine. All the best wines are made with a single grape from the same region controlled by a Appellation D’origine Contrôlée, in Spain they have something similar.

They do not even add yeast, but rely on natural yeasts on the skin of the grape.
Squash, ferment, drain, settle, pour, drink.

Never heard of bio wine but it sounds like one of those advertising ploys.

‘Best wines’ is subjective at best, and there are many non-ADC wine-grape varieties out there that might be preferable to the palate.

I have naturally-fermented wine, when I visit my parents or get the chance to drink an old vintage variety wine… a very Bio method indeed.

Ah!

What! like the Fairtrade, Soil Association, Organic, and all other designated certifications are? as it’s simply just that… as is Appellation D’origine Contrôlée, an evident monopolising and marketing ploy.

Yes. Low Fat, GMO free, High this, low that, reduced salt.
Most utterly irrelevant. If it has to have a special label it is most often trying to hide something.

Branding like Appellation D’origine Contrôlée, has been a way to protect from fakery. Regional wine makers associate to protect a standard of quality. SO not directly comparable. I means that a wine from Chile cannot be sold as a wine from the Loire valley or Burgundy for example.

Dolphin Friendly Tuna is for example is just a badge you can buy to help sell your tins of tuna, but has no meaning whatever, since there is no scrutiny.

So Fairtrade, Soil Association, Organic, GMO free, Bio etc, are meaningless irrelevancies?

Branding like Fairtrade, Soil Association, Organic, GMO free, Bio etc, helps the consumer make more informed choices, when shopping for fresh/natural/unprocessed produce.

One would hope that produce proclaiming to be ethically-sourced and dolphin-friendly/cruelty-free, would be ethically-sourced, dolphin-friendly, and cruelty-free.

Unscrupulousness and disingenuousness in the food industry is criminal and immoral, and lives have been lost because of it and the natural environment, impaired.

I am afraid to say, by and large, yes. Producers have to pay to have the label. Scrutiny costs money, so adherence to the standards are low.
When I had a smallholding I knew people that joined the Organic Soil Association. There rules were that you had to keep your soil chemical free for 3 months to join. There after you got the badge. No one ever came to inspect, since a visit would involve paying someone to come out the the farm, and take soils samples. But there is no way that you can distinguish between NPK in the soil from natural or artificial sources so basically it was all done on the nod.
Fairtrade has been involved is some scandal and is a means by which the corporate interests can ring the market.

There is a Neflix documentary about the Oceans, Seaspiracy. Which takes a look at Tuna line fishing. It’s quite disappointing.

As for all that food labelling.
I think Michael Pollan has the right idea. He calls processed food “food like substances”, and remarks that if it have a health label then it is probably better to avoid it completely.

A cabbage, lettuce, beef steak, broccoli, or an apple does not come with a “free from…”, or “low…” this or that label.

As an example this product is marked: “Gluten free; protein kick”

But the list of ingredients do not make it a healthy option:

Pork, Iodised Salt (Salt, Potassium Iodate), Dextrose, Nices, Pork Fat, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate), Preservative (Sodium Mtite), Beechwood Smoke, Made with 146g Pork and Pork Fat per 100g finished product, as some moisture is lost during curing and drying.

Hmmm, I wasn’t aware of that.

A bi-yearly test should be a prerequisite, to maintain the designated-badge status… surely food and drink producers can afford that!

…the documentary or the revelation/s?

Nobody I know eats tinned-tuna anymore… haven’t for decades, nor processed food, gluten, or unhealthy takeaways. Everybody’s had enough of being bloated and sick, and the only thing that that would help sustain is the pharmaceutical and health-care industry/profits.

I call it ‘Frankenstein food’… because there’s nothing natural or healthy about it. :laughing:

Fresh fruit veg and meat don’t need any labels… which should be the standard basis of One’s intake anyway, and anything else is a luxury and to be ingested at One’s peril.

Gluten (or dairy) free, doesn’t necessarily mean additive free… and it usually doesn’t.

In my having lost the ill-will to eat processed produce, I’m helping sustaining the planet… one meal at a time. :laughing:

Mmmm — smells of soylent green, aborted babies, and Chinese proverbs.

Soylent Green. uuuummm With a little Chianti and Fava Beans?

_

It’s not an exhaustive Venn diagram.

You might also add; “Climate hysteria is useful”.

Or mature reflection upon science and the real value of climate statistics, is of paramount importance.

Fossil fuels, nuclear energy, wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, can all contribute to Global warming.

An ever growing human population is eventually going to overwhelm all possibilities of saving the environment.

_
[size=85]Briefings from Goldman Sachs[/size]

War in Ukraine is reshaping the global energy landscape

The Russia–Ukraine War Is Reshaping Energy Markets

The conflict is likely to reverse a multiyear decline in energy capex. “This war is that catalyst that I think completely changes the perception of the importance of energy availability and diversification of sources, and underpins the structural change in investment in a way we’ve last seen in the early 2000s,” says Michele Della Vigna.

Renewables have a key role to play. “Renewables have been a very important factor in achieving climate goals over the past 20 years in the European Union and now they’re becoming probably even more central,” explains Alberto Gandolfi. “Essentially, every megawatt hour of electricity that you generate from wind and solar is a molecule that you don’t have to import from Russia.”