Teachers of the meaning of existence.

How does one make a distinction between “intuition” and “subconcious impulse” if they are one and the same then it still comes down to reasoning by consciousness. and regardless one’s concsiousness could always intervene (one’s higher state thinking), if it doesn’t in a bad intutional state then such could be called a faulty thought process anyways…i.e. negligence.

I was using the term ‘life’ as meaning that which is the physical/biological life of all living things. I’m afraid you have misjudged my meaning and went ahead to call out a contradiction. Instead, I would rather you take it with the realization that what is known from perception, conception or any other activity of thought is far removed from the living quality I’m referring to.

Life is all that is inside of us. The intellect is no match to the intelligence of the life of the human organism. That life is fantastic and inscrutable in so far as how it came to exist. Theories include evolution, intelligent design, etc.

The situation everyone finds themselves in, perception, etc. has to do with living together with the things around and relationships. In that sense you live in a world of your own ideas and project that onto the outside world. The act of projecting your knowledge on things gives you an identity reference point – that you as a subject exist in relation to the objects around. That is the life of the intellect or thought. Intellect and thought are dead, yet they are holding all the keys and are trying to control the life.

JSS wrote:

Fear is both an emotion and an instinct, which is why it’s called a ‘basic’ emotion. Basic fear is a survival mechanism-- it’s present in all animals. But in Homo sapien, fear is also an emotion in that it can be the anticipation of a possible ‘bad’–or unintended–consequence of a decision, for example. “I’m afraid of what might happen if…” Or, “I’m frightened about what will happen to world economy if the US defaults on its loans.”

And most of what you describe both above and below are learned–and learned through experience. You have to fall and hurt yourself first, before you learn to take care where you step. Again, this is an anticipation of dire consequences that promotes the emotion of fear.

See my above responses.

The rest of your post is silly nonsense that has nothing to do with either the OP or ‘fear’ as a basic emotion.

If I may iterate what’s been said before. Protohumans may or may not have had a ‘burning desire’ to know the ‘meaning of life/existence’. But the various genera classified as Homo certainly had minds–often very good ones, or they wouldn’t have been able to go beyond the cave, create tools, or expand cultures. In short, they wouldn’t have been able to survive and grow. They did have thoughts about an after-life, as exhibited in their burial rituals, and they did have questions about what was in the unexplored world around them–otherwise they wouldn’t have walked–or sailed–over the ‘next hill’ to find out.

They had no need for a ‘salesman’ to teach them what questions to ask in order to gain power over them. They had already derived, from nature, nature gods who really did have power over them. Given those nature gods, certain strains of the Homo genera that led to Homo sapien, developed myth and ritual. Myth and ritual are essential to the human psyche even today.

If anyone disagrees with my recap, please add your thoughts.

I think this is a good question and not an easy one to answer. But I want to sidestep it since in context it is a response to my assertions which I stand by without necessarily being able to give you a good rule of thumb. I make decisions all the time not bases on either deduction or induction, as far as I can tell. If I were to try to reason my way to all these decisions, I would die. I would never make it to the fridge to eat. Let alone be a good worker, friend, football thrower, reader, or even, yes, someone who reasons.

Might i offer a solution:

The intuition is the subconscious interpolating things better than we can in many ways on the conscious level. I.E. the subconscious can pick up on the level of noise in a general area and nudge the person to say avoid it if it has a particular frequency associated with negativity…(like a threatening voice) even when it is beyond the volume of conscious recognition. intuition as such is good to follow often but not always so good when it is desiring a big mak due to some commercial…

ultimately though I would of course say that everything is a matter of though on some level though there are many tendencies and such that we have due to gentic makeup of our subconscious, though one might call such genetic memory…IDK

How would one call this - ‘intuiting’ - ‘speculating’ … or deeper…

Anticipating… sensing, just knowing, somehow - maybe time doesnt really limit us.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQnzmH6jgc[/youtube]

So the entire argument bases on the preclusion of validity on the strength of articulation. The meaning of life, when verbally invoked, ceases to possess any philosophical weight. Why not just say “ohm” and not post?