The Best Movies of 2007

Dupe

OK, some would say this is a little late, but there’s something to be said for letting the dust settle and giving things a chance to sink in. That said:

10–Amazing Grace 8***
I love movies based on history, even if they are just based on history. Great story well done.

9–The Bourne Ultimatum 8***
Conclusion to one of the best action franchises ever.

8–Death at a Funeral 8***

This didn’t open wide but its out on DVD now so rent this mother. One of the best comedies in a long time thanks to Frank Oz’s influence (and restraint?) of British humor.

7–Across the Universe 8***
The latest in a new genre, stringing a groups songs together in a show or movie that was started with Mama Mia. This time it’s the Beatles with much of its music familiar to 3 generations. It spans the spectrum from sappy at times to hard hitting. Very enjoyable if you’re not one of those turned off by the “M” word.

6–American Gangster 8***
Hollywood, via Ridley Scott, gets the history right in this incredible story. Almost as amazing is how the two main characters became buds in real life afterwards.

5–Resurrecting the Champ 9***
A box office thud (the second for Samuel L. Jackson this year, both in departures from his usual fare), but it’s a good performance in an innovative story.

4–3:10 to Yuma 9***
Outstanding performances by Crowe, Bale and Ben Foster as Crowe’s second (I’d kill for his jacket). Some don’t like the ending, but I thought it was great.

3–The Brave One 9***
Jody Foster does a great job as a Public Radio commentator. Her soliloquies on the air were a definite highlight. The movie is about guns, thugs, and the right to self-defense; but Jody, despite her performance, thought it was anti-gun??? See for yourself.

2–Ratatouille 9***
This had both critical and public ratings in the 90’s on Rotten Tomatoes, and should have been at least nominated for best movie of the year (and should have won in spite of it being my number two) instead of being swept under the Animation category rug. Anton Ego, the food critic (voiced by Peter O’Toole), was probably a major factor that elevated this into the stratosphere–and it’s not just his characterization, but the message he imparts.

And now: (drum roll please)

1–Black Snake Moan–10***, a Masterpiece
My first 10 in five years. Critics liked it, and most people that have seen it love it, but very few saw it. It think the poster was a major turn off for a lot of people; for many, it brought to mind a black man keeping a white woman chained up as a sex slave-- while just the opposite was the case. They used a new poster on the DVD. In any case, Samuel L. Jackson and Christina Ricci head an outstanding cast and they at least should have been nominated for Oscars, but it was completely ignored. I guess you have to have some appreciation for the blues because the rocking/bluesy score should have received credit as part of the cast (as well as the chain). Philosophically, it has a lot to say, and shows the characters struggling to pull themselves out of their own torment. Christians should appreciate it (a preacher, ok an unconventional one, plays a major part) but scenes from the gutter are probably dismissed too quickly as prurient. If you haven’t seen it and will only rent one movie this year, make it this one.

Across the Universe= #1 by far!

I guess someone didn’t see There Will Be Blood…

Yes, I did. I gave it (and No Country for Old Men) 7’s, primarily because of their messages. They were both superbly made, and I can appreciate a downer movie if there’s a real point. TWBB is a Greek Tragedy but the force working against him was himself and his own self-hatred. The movie feeds, as most tragedies do, on the gratuitous voyeurism of the audience watching the flaws in the rich and influential play themselves out. I object to watching those who cause suffering in themselves or others for no other point than to watch them do so. I don’t mind being an erotic voyeur, on the contrary, but I draw the line at mania.

I thought NCFOM was an even better film, the characters were more interesting. But the message in the last quarter of the film, that justice is tired, old, restrained and maybe even afraid enabling the inevitable triumph of evil, offered no hope and was thus infuriating at least for me. They’re making another film by the same author, from the 2007 Pulitzer Prize winning novel, The Road, starring Viggo Mortensen. It’s a downer as well, but I take its message to be an antidote to NCFOM.

Eclipse,
Did you see Black Snake Moan or Ratatouille?

I thought Ratatouille looked stupid, however right after it got returned when we rented it I found out it was supposed to be good. So no. I want to see it though.

Go forth ye and rent them both. Mush!

(Uhhh, do not watch BSM with children, if that wasn’t obvious already.)

Black Snake Moan was good, great music. I will be forever sad that Christina Ricci got a breast reduction though. Now she looks just like any other pretty girl. :cry:

Breast reduction or had implants removed?

I need to see a before and after, she may have done the right thing. There are waaaaay to many big breasts running around now. A lot of people apparently figure as long is she’s under 200 lbs, cleavage is the important attraction.

I like Christina for her face, especially that sexy forehead, and her waistline, and her ass, and her petite size and…[-o< …drool

Yeah Christina’s got it going on!

Everyone forgot to mention Werner Herzog’s Rescue Dawn. This film was aaaaamazing!

Into the Wild - a movie based on the true story about Chris McCandless.

Here’s what the park ranger had to say about this:

…am I the only one that thought Transformers was a great movie? #-o

The whole audience were laughing at the jokes - it was like one big happy family (group hug moment) :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought that and all I saw was the preview. I nominate him for the Darwin Award.

From here’s what I’ve seen:

Five Stars:
Babel
Blade Runner (haven’t seen “The Final Cut” yet though)
The Lives of Others

Four Stars:
Eastern Promises
Into The Wild
La Vie En Rose
No Country for Old Men
The Host

Three Stars:
Rescue Dawn
Disturbia
Amazing Grace
We Own The Night

Two Stars:
The Bourne Ultimatum
The Darjeeling Limited
Blades of Glory
Becoming Jane

“THE MIST”

The Mist was top notch. I love Frank Darabont, he can’t make a bad movie. The great thing about that movie was that it wasn’t so much about the monsters outside, but the monsters inside the store. Sure, outside is dangerous, even life threatening. But what about claustrophobia and human nature? This movie tackled it well and even threw in the dangers of religion (played to a tease by marcia gay harden). Also, did you know Darabont reworked the ending from the original book? The ending sticks with you, i’m glad they didn’t take the easy, happy route and make leave everyone happy; life isn’t like that.

9/10

i liked the mechanic hic, the butcher, the bag boy with the gun i especially liked, the fat woman who took the side of religion (the one who said “you murderd her!”). and the chuck norris type guy.

the people i hated include: the woman with the shaved hair, the main character for being too “all american”, and the guy who burned himself alive for being so stupid.

great movie 9.5 out of ten IMO

I watched it with my bipolar friend and he loves it :-s

But anyway, I don’t like watching it because it’s like the Britney episode of South Park where we watch someone crash and burn. The shots are amazing, Daniel Day Lewis kicks so much ass, and, most importantly, Anderson created a character that is so human we want to like him even though he’s an asshole. Despite all his failings (or maybe because of them), he’s totally relatable.