the bottom line

exactly ier…and i would now propose that belief in the golden rule
[do not do to others what you do not want others to do to you] is the bottom line for behavior…

turtle, the bottom line is that you are going to do what you do
… until you don’t anymore.

Circa 500BCE, the Golden Rule appeared in writings or sayings in many cultures, both East and West. The "Do not do. . . .is Confucius’ interpreptation. Stated as do or don’t do, the rule survives as the best guess yet as to what behavior at its best could be. Kant’ s moral imperative is simply a variation of this universal idea. He noted that one should act as if the action was universal., i.e. done by everybody else.

No I think you might be describing “Ethics”.

Religion is mostly about obeying, about the selfishness of Salvation and about social control.

Psychologists will tell you otherwise.

Are we to confine the question with ‘is’?

Is morality related to spirituality? (Apply duct tape: Religion falls under spirituality.)

Has morality always been related to spirituality?

Must morality be related to spirituality?

Anything else?

No I won’t.

Suzanne L. Davis Ph.D. will.

eg.
Bystander effect
Cognitive dissonance
Sinners

You didn’t say that there is one that will, but that “they will”.
I am one of “they”
And I won’t.

If you are being pedantic. Two can play at that game. I did NOT say “they will”
I said “Psychologists would say otherwise.”
Not people who claim to be psychologists, not even ALL psychologists. But I would venture further to say most psychologists.

From Philosophy of Responsibility, by Edgar Bodenheimer, 1980, pages 11 to 13.

The Golden Rule and “[t]o vindicate the truth of [this moral imperative], it is not necessary to have recourse to religious or metaphysical arguments.”

Cough.

As far as the acting as one believes. One can believe contradictory things and not have resolved this. One can have beliefs that are revealed by actions, beliefs which one thinks one does not have. IOW actions do indicate beliefs. You may have other beliefs that do not fit with that action, but there still is that belief in you if that is how you act. (one can be compelled to do things, but this just means that the survival instinct and beliefs surrounding it ((such as I will die if I do what I really would like to do in this situation)) have been given priority.

It is fair to point to someone’s actions and use these are support for their beliefs.

One could say, for example, that one does not believe the upper classes are better than the lower ones. Even without lying, if one acts as if the upper classes are better, this can be used to call the belief into question. The person may think one should be neutral. The person may have some degree of belief in the classes being equal. But if they act in a prejudiced way THEY MUST ALSO have a belief that one class is better than the others.

From another psychologist.

There are examples far too numerous to mention. Psychologists seem to love unpacking a belief system by showing that people act in contradiction of such a thing, be it religion or dieters.
I was watching TV just the other night people who believe they are only eating 2000 calories; they believe that chocolate is bad for them - and yet with hidden cameras were shocked to find themselves eating 5000 calories and giving themselves a pass on the odd extra chocolate bar.
I doubt any person who had studied psychology (and paid attention) would not be aware of this phenomenon.

It’s an odd rule that no one obeys!

hc–can you explain why it is an odd rule…and are you certain that no one obeys…and it is interesting that you use the term obeys…

It’s not that no one ever obeys it, its just that for most of the time people make exceptions for themselves and others, usually positively and negatively respectively.
It would be almost impossible to obey 24/7. You can’t really pour a bowl of cornflakes without thinking of starving children all over the world.

I meant by the phrase; “It’s an odd rule that no one obeys!”, that it is odd because no one obeys it.

one of the reasons people have trouble with it----it is very hard work to do it…it is not easy…it is not perfect…
also most people do not think about it…it is difficult …most people concentrate on hate and revenge…

do not do to others what you dont want done to you…the whole idea is that it helps YOU…why else would you do it…
lets get down to our basic need to feel good about ourselves…what is wrong about being selfish…that is our nature…
i dont follow the golden rule to please god…i follow it to please me…

The GR makes sense to those who are able to walk the talk.

The golden rule is an attempt to codify the experience of empathy and compassion in a maxim. Empathy involves recognizing feelings of another conscious being. Empathy is necessary for accurate sympathy or acts of compassion.