The ethics of rum.

Ahhh, it is good to have friends who are in the distribution business! Many pesters and tabs later (note: the tabs are largely a symbolic gesture, these fine folks hook me up far more than I them, granted, when I do it is on my dime whereas they are on the company dollar but you’ve gotta spend money to make money) Flor de Can~a is finally in Indiana. Ahhhh. Only the 4 year old, for now. Not their A-game, make no mistake, but I’ve gotta do my part to show that there is a market for this stuff in order to get their A-game. The sacrifices we make.

But as it turns out, FdC has really screwed over some workers (Nicaragua, who knew right?). So I’m at an impasse. I’m morally obligated to buy a lot, and I mean a lot, of FdC since I pushed to get it into the state and I’m one of the 0.1% that drinks 90% of the 90% of alcohol drank by everyone (I can’t do math now, I just had an 18 work day, cut me some slack. I’m less drunk and more unsober) of the alcohol consumed (according to a class the MAN made me take a while ago) but at the same time I am morally obligated not to purchase any FdC until they settle with their workers.

Now, I’m a firm believer in proximal ethics. As in, we owe more to those more associated with our own moral sphere than those less associated with our own moral sphere. Geographic markers are a big part of that but they do not represent the entirety. One of my parents is also a Brechtian, that is, a fusion of Communism and Nietzscheanism, so I am deeply beholden to a workers-of-the-world-unite-type mentality by the Confucian ethic to which I’ve tied myself (vis-a-vie those to whom I must/ought conform).

So, where does my allegiance in this situation lie and why? While it is fine to justify it according to your own ethic, try to see it from my perspective (both as provided here and from your own personal observations) and see what I ought do in order to be internally consistent as well as what you think I’ll actually do. I’ll share my answer(s) later, but let’s see where this takes us.

Xunzian,

This is a tough one. If it were me, I would probably consider that even though I know that some workers in Nicaragua are getting screwed, the fact is not common knowledge to the vast majority of people that are going to purchase this rum. It will then become about the fact that my feeble (and individual) boycott of the item will probably accomplish very close to nothing.

On the other hand, you seem to be the type of person that will take up a cause regardless of your liklihood of affecting that cause and potential for success. It is with this in mind, that I conclude that I would continue to buy the rum, but I don’t think you will.

The cuervo gold
The fine columbian
Make tonight a wonderful thing

Can you buy Bundaberg rum over there?

I can’t say I’ve ever heard of it. We don’t get much from Oz, for obvious reasons. Shipping is a bitch-and-a-half. We do get plenty of pretend products though, like Fosters contract brewed in Canada :wink: Our Guinness is contract brewed in Canada as well, which I always think is pretty funny. People want to latch onto Aussie-fads or faux-Irish Nationalism and they can’t even do that right . . .